What causes this?

I am testing 2 grubby pillars, 1 is Gingerbread and the other one is Hot Baked Apple Pie. I used a 30ply wick in both and the Apple Pie is carrying a tall flame. Both are leaving a perfect shell and has awesome throw. I just don't like the tall flame. Should I try wicking down or up? TIA Portia

This may give you an idea about flame heights with flat ply

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_ply_wicks.php

However, I know what you mean. That's the only complaint I've had with flat ply. Sometimes I get a torch and then wick down one and the flame conks out depending on the FO used. They require alot of trimming. Is the flame high and smoking, a long thin flame or a nice flame, but just too high for you? I've recently switched to HTP wicks for stronger FOs. I've found that I have to make sure that the wick is really at 1/4 in. before the first burn.

Recently was burning two candles from the same batch (no FO, fl ply) and one had a really nice flame and shell and the other had a really little flame and was tunnelling. The only thing I could think of was that I had cut one wick too short.