GM M&P problems

jon0807

My wife and I are trying our hand at soap making for the first time. We decided to go with M&P goat's milk which I'm not so sure was a good idea after our experience. We followed every instruction available but instead of a double boiler we used a presto pot that we use in candle making. We heated up a 2 pound block and it melted fine but we ended up with clumping on the wooden spoon and around the edges of the pot as well as in the base itself. I also found that if I didn't constantly stir a film would form on the top of the melted base. We heated it to 150 degrees and it still clumped up pretty badly if we didn't keep up with the stirring. Everything else went smoothly with the FO and dye. We poured the mixture into little heart molds and it just seemed to harden way too fast. Almost as soon as we poured it outer part hardened so we ended up with alot of overpour that needed to be cut off. If we poured too little into the mold the hearts wouldn't be formed very well.

What did we do wrong? We got all our materials from BC since we had good experiences with their candle supplies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Life of the Party Soap Kettle that I use and it has a glass lid that keeps the skin from forming on top--but it requires using more than 2lbs of m&p in it.

When I make smaller batches I just use the microwave. I use a giant glass measuring cup and melt it in about 2 minute increments to keep it from over heating. As it cools it will clump on your spoon and container, but you can scrape it all off and remelt it.

I typically don't have a problem with clumping within the base. Maybe you're not getting it hot enough to thoroughly melt it. Are you cutting it into smaller pieces before you melt it?

I was thinking the same. For a smaller batch I use the microwave and put my soap base chunks in a pyrex glass to melt them in. Works great. 150 is plenty hot for M&P. I usually don't go above 140-145.

If this doesn't work for you you may want to think about trying another sample from a different supplier. Not all M&P are the same.

I only do mine in the microwave. I will cut 2 lbs up into pretty small chunks, pop it in and microwave, but I do 3 min increments and it is pretty much melted by 6 min with some chunks but then I stir and stir to melt those, then add dye and fo. Pour straight from the pitcher with no problems. I use my Pampered Chef glass mixing bowl for this..the one you can bake a cake in to make the barbie doll cake base? I just love it, but this one is strictly for my soap!

Never had any issues with mp.

Angi

I make my soap in the presto pot all the time. I used to use the micro before I started making bigger batches. I like my presto because I can add bigger chunks and control the heat a bit. Never have I had a clumping problem. I have no idea what could be causing that. My soap always forms a skin as it begins to cool, I just stir it back in and it melts. I've also never used the base from BC, so I have nothing to compare there. I use Essentials by Catalina, or SFIC low sweat white base.