I give up single wicking this gosh darn apoth.....

This 20oz. apothacary is driving me nutso!! :mad: I really really really want to single wick it, but everything I've tried just does not cut it.

My latest was an HTP 1312- I mean that is HUGE and still I've got a slight hang up on the sides. I kept thinking that maybe since it was just a tiny amount all the way around that on subsequential burns it may catch up-NOT!!

I'm testing it ONE LAST TIME this morning just in case, but I truly think it's hopeless.

I just really do not want to double wick it for safety reasons (yes I'm paranoid about the way consumers burn their candles) but I've got over 2 cases of these jars, and really wanted to at least use them up (successfully) and not have that been wasted money. GRRRRRRR

I just do not understand how others are successfully single wicking these bigger apoths?? :confused: I'm using a pretty soft wax (1945) too, so what's the deal? Why can't I get a good burn with one wick??

I literally shoved this candle in my DH's face right when he got home from work, complaining about it, and he just looks at me like I've completely lost it (he doesn't realize I lost it a loooooong time ago LOL) and said, "Just double wick it then!!" :rolleyes2

Ok, thanks for listening to me rant about this. ;)

Double wicking isn’t so bad. I double wicked my keepsake jars, 3 ½ dia very successfully with HTP wicks. I just made a template of the jar and where the wicks should be and just sit the jar on top of it and I can wick it in a snap. In my experience, it is much prettier and burns much better with 2 wicks, than 1. Because it has 2 wicks, it is burning the fuel off of 2 instead of one (less mushrooming). And I don't believe the jar gets any hotter with two smaller wicks than it does with a monster wick. I always found that a very large single wick was very prone to large mushrooms, at least with the HTP series. My customers seem to like the double wicks as well. I think the apothecary jars are about the same width as the keepsake jars. Depending on my FO, I double wicked with either HTP73, HTP83 or HTP93 very successfully. Most of them did well with the 83’s. Don’t let this jar defeat you, you can beat it! LOL! I have been in the same boat trying to wick 8 oz sq masons with soy. It has been driving me crazy. Found some 6” HTP31 wicks and double wicked it and FINALLY got a good burn out of it (the HTP 1212 couldn’t do it and mushroomed so badly, I wouldn’t have used it even if it had worked). Went through about 15-20 different wicks trying to get it right. Almost gave up on it. Hang in there and good luck

I agree with Kerry. I would much rather have two small, good flames that do not get too hot and do not smoke, then a huge HTP (or any wick) that smokes and soots and gets hotter than heck! I am paranoid about safety too, but I DW. :) And I know all about jars that are PITA to wick. :sad2:

This was just my latest question too...do you get a better throw from two wicks? And less smoke? I'm using LX20's, LX22s & 24s to do a large jar and I feel like any little air going at the wick at is throws out some serious smoke. I hate that!

So if I used an LX22 for a 16oz apoth, I could go with lets say two lx14s?

Shoot, more testing...

• 5 years later...

What is the diameter of the jar you are trying to wick? I just started working on an 8 oz and a 16 oz apothecary jar, both are 4" in diameter and filled with GW 464. I too tried the HTP 1212 and it failed to get a full melt pool (an any hours of burn), I have rewicked with 2 HTP 105s. Not sure what wax you are using as this is not the Veggie Wax section of the forum. After another day or so or curing I will light them up. My feeling is that whatever wick(s) will work in the 8 oz should also be fine in the 16 oz.

My double wick in the 4" container with GW 464 turned out to be a little too hot (unless you want a fast full melt pool) :-)

I will wick down and try 2 HTP 93s next. It actually feels good to wick down, gives you more options if future colors or FO cause problems.

I've been using 4630 in the 8 oz apoth, which has about a 3 in diameter- tried HTP 62, and 73, single wick, but didn't get a full melt pool and tunneling. should I mix with soy, try double wicking? These are tough containers to wick!