My First Craft Fair - Not too bad!

EmpressC

Hi all,

I just completed my first craft fair yesterday! While I was exhausted by the end of it, and still sore today, I must say I am so glad I did it!

I was the only B&B'er there. I make candles also, but didn't make any for this fair. It's too bad cuz I think they would have been a huge success. I made my booth fee x 9, so that's pretty good, no?

Several crafters came around and told me how they hadn't gotten ANY sales, but said that they could tell from the looks of my stuff that I was doing well. This boosted my confidence because I was thinking I wasn't selling much at all. It wasn't until the end, when I counted my sales that I realized how much better I did that I originally thought! Too bad for the jewelers who I saw in every direction I looked. :(

Things I learned:

1) Have samples. I meant to have these but just didn't have time to get them ready. There were people who wanted to sample the lotion or body butter or spray.

2) Take EVERYTHING. Cuz you never know what people will want. I even had a customer ask me if I had anything with lavender in it. I make a wonderful lavender soap that she would have loved. Please tell me why I left it sitting at home thinking, "These folks won't be interested in anything with EOs." :confused:

3) Be polite to everyone. Many people looked and left and when they came back, I remembered them. That seemed to make them feel good, and they bought product! :D

4) Find an "old-timer." I was lucky enough to be next to a crafter who is a veteran. She gave me a lot of good info on things I would have never thought about.

5) Be gracious. I got help in unlikely places.

6) Be open. I hesitantly/cautiously/nervously went to a show where there was nothing like me or my products anywhere in sight. And I did better than most folks! It's good to try new things! :D :D

Anyhoo, here are pics from my show. I meant to get a wider shot of my entire booth but forgot. Let me know what you think. Advice and suggestions are welcome!

http://img208.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img208/1083/11888326304ea.smil

Thanx for looking!

That's awesome! I'm so glad your first craft fair went well and that you made $$$!

Your advice is spot on -- I'd also add Take business cards if you have them! That way if you forget to bring something, you've got a no-risk way of giving a customer your information for a follow up.

It's amazing how much difference it makes to make eye contact and say hello to people. You don't have to go for the hard sell, but noticing that there's a customer in your midst matters!

P.S. -- the link didn't work for me?!?

Hi SpaceGirl, yep I put a biz card in EVERY bag and gave to people who didn't buy but asked for one.

Not sure why the link isn't working. It does take a minute before the pics actually display. I guess I would suggest you try again and either click on the blank space (to activate the control) or just be patient. It works for me, so I'm thinking it should work for everyone...hopefully. I tried posting here, but most of the photos were over the size limit of this forum. :o

The link worked for me, and your products look great! Your setup certainly looks inviting, and you seem to have been well stocked. I can see why you did well. Congratulations, it feels better after getting that first one out of the way.

What a Great display you had. :) Like said previously, very professional set up and labels look great too! Congrats on your show! I do have a question as I am getting ready to do my first show on 10/6. Where did you find the shelving to place your stuff on. Did someone make it for you or did you purchase? I am looking for something just like that.

Great for you! I remember one of my first craft shows I did, they put a gel candle maker next to me. I was convinced I wouldn't have good sales. I was completely wrong. And you are right, be kind & courteous to everyone, you have no idea who will buy from you. Last year I saw a woman juggling multiple items that were not bagged for her. I asked her if she wanted a bag, she accepted. She did not stop at my booth, but that was fine, I was happy to help her. Well, she came back with 3 more people and I sold about $150 to her and her "friends."

Congrats on a successful 1st show. You products look great. Love the labeling.

Another helpful hint - have your business cards prominently displayed. I have been at shows where folks want to see everything before buying. They pick up business cards from those booths they want to return to and make a purchase from.

Thank you ALL for your kind comments! I will definitely remember to have biz cards on display. That's a great idea!

What a Great display you had. :) Like said previously, very professional set up and labels look great too! Congrats on your show! I do have a question as I am getting ready to do my first show on 10/6. Where did you find the shelving to place your stuff on. Did someone make it for you or did you purchase? I am looking for something just like that.

You can find those risers here: http://www.gershelbros.com/page80.html I used the 4-step risers. They are easy to assemble and they really do bring the products up to eye level almost. Also, you can display a LOT more.

I was just thinking that...lol. :)

Everyone kept asking. It seemed like a good brand name at the time. Hopefully it'll catch on. Most people assume it's my initials. LOL!

that egyptian musk looks wonderful. It looked like a very sunny day. The sun does not bother your products?

I was very surprised that the Egyptian Musk sold so well! I didn't think it would and so I didn't make much in that scent, but it sold quite well! That and the mango peach.

As for the sun, only a little of the product got some sun and only for a short while. However, I did notice that the soaps seemed to change color a bit so I moved them out of the sun when I saw what was happening. Not too much of a problem as I saw it early on. It was a nice day, not too hot so everything was ok.

look great, thanks for the pictures. :)

Thank you! :D