Another 415 Wicking ?

I've been making tarts with GB415 and those little things throw like crazy both hot and cold. Is there any way that a properly wicked candle could give you the same type of HT results? I recently read through the wicksunlimited website and I'm thinking that maybe I've chosen the wrong type of wicks for this wax. I have tested LX and 700 series, neither one of these wicks give me the same type of HT that I get from my tarts. On the Wicksunlimited website they say that in general, wicks with high liquid flow characteristics are more compatible and successful with vegetable-based fuels.The plant-derived wax is more viscous when liquified, requiring an unimpeded conduit for maximizing capillary action. Which wick/wicks fit into this category?

They also say that non-cored wicks usually will allow a more predictable and consistant flow of molten wax because they have less material density in their total surface area than cored wicks.The exceptions to the rule are cored wicks that are directional, since they are engineered to promote liquid flow in one direction more than the other. Is the RRD the only wick in this category?

Also, if the viscosity of soy and other natural waxes requires a hotter wick, how do you go about choosing a wick that will burn hot enough to handle viscous waxes without the wick burning too hot and causing the fragrance to break down?

My methods are basic. Heat 415 wax to 175, add FO at 170-175, stir slowly and pour when cool & cloudy. I don't use dyes or any additives, just wax and fo. I figured that if this method works for tarts then it should work for wicked candles right? :confused:

I forgot to mention that I'm using 6oz tins (2 5/8" diam) and 3" diam glass jars.

Any suggestions, opinions or advise on wicking this wax would be greatly appreciated! TIA for any replies.

Yesterday I tested my first Premier 700 series wick. I found the burn to be excellent but I had absolutely no throw with this wick using a scent that throws like crazy with my CD's.

I've used 415 for 6 yrs, been pouring soy for 7.

My personal preference is the CD's and CDN's for pure soy. I feel I get the best burn and the best throw with these wicks.

Cotton's would be my second choice and I am actually starting to use them for my harder to wick scents.

Sent you a PM.

Karen

ECO's and CD's generally work the best for me, as well. Although with my latest tester, the HTP isn't doing too shabby, either!

I tried the RRD's --- once --- and it was horrible! Shrooming and soot like nobody's business.

BTW -I use a blend - GB415 at 75% and 4630 at %25 - but it seems to follow the wicking characteristics of the 415 very closely.