Moisturizing M&P Soap?

wickchick

Hello,

I'm delving into M&P and was looking over Peak's. I'd like one that's very moisturizing, but I'm not sure which base to choose. Do any of you wonderful soapers have any suggestions? I was leaning towards the shea. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Welcome to the wonderful world of M&P. Another addict in the making :yay:

I've used all the SFIC bases in the last year, but have now settled on the Low Sweat White only so I can add all my goodies myself!

The shea is pretty moisturizing on it's own...but I've found that the gm base mixed w/ almost anything...ESPECIALLY mango base/mango butter or Emu oil...makes a really really creamy lathering & moisturizing bar of soap. Unscented, they are gentle enough for facial use or for those w/ skin issues.

Maybe you could order the shea & maybe one or 2 others to compare :undecided

Either way, have a blast...it's so much fun!

I never thought of using shea butter soap and adding extra shea?? That sounds delish!

Yes, it's great - I surprised myself - seriously, my DH has dry skin and he says when he washes with that soap it does wonders for his skin. I always had trouble with dry hand when I used regular soap - you know how your hands feel tight after handwashing - well,this is not a problem in our house anymore!

How much goat's milk do you add to a 1# shea butter mp base? Also how much extra shea butter do you add to a 1# base?

well, you can do 50/50 or 75/25 basically 16oz in pound of mp so weigh 8oz/8oz or 10oz and 6oz. I weigh everything so I hope that helps you!

well, you can do 50/50 or 75/25 basically 16oz in pound of mp so weigh 8oz/8oz or 10oz and 6oz. I weigh everything so I hope that helps you!

I think Pepperi is saying to use the GM's M&P BASE mixed with the shea butter base?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

How much goat's milk do you add to a 1# shea butter mp base? Also how much extra shea butter do you add to a 1# base?

I would add up to 2 or even 3 TBS of goat milk to 1 pound of base, and 1 to 2 TBS of shea butter per pound of base. I actually add more goat milk than that, but that is a good place to start.

I would add up to 2 or even 3 TBS of goat milk to 1 pound of base, and 1 to 2 TBS of shea butter per pound of base. I actually add more goat milk than that, but that is a good place to start.

You can add that much goats milk to a lb of M&P and it gets hard. I always thought 1 oz pp of anything was all that could be added. I'll have to try that.

You can add that much goats milk to a lb of M&P and it gets hard. I always thought 1 oz pp of anything was all that could be added. I'll have to try that.

I always try to balance the liquid and the solid ingredients that I add to my soap. I always use goats milk, but I also always add either mango or shea butter as well.

Don't be afraid to try stuff with your MP based on what you've heard. I've found that most people don't know.. they are just repeating what someone else told them :D Experimentation is your friend! You will be very surprised at what you can add to MP soap and have it turn out fantastic! Keep some glycerin on hand and add that when you are adding a bunch of other stuff.. much less worry about killing that lather!