jade soap

GrandmaArial

Scented with orange, tangerine, and lemon peal when I smelled the oil it made me think of when I was a small child going to Grandma and Grandpa’s house, it was an hour’s drive through citrus groves. In the summer the scent of the ripening fruits would mix with the wild flowers making an intoxicating aroma so I tossed in some hibiscus and jasmine, a couple rose hips just cuz I like them, then a few little drops of some rose oil I was given a few years ago for Christmas in memory of Grandma’s roses who’s fragrance would greet us before we could see the house.

The mistakes I made were in the color. I after I infused the oil I divided the grounds and added yellow oxide to one bowl and some yellow and red in the other to swirl with, and started worrying the citrus wouldn’t be strong enough so added fresh tea to it. Big mistake with the hibiscus which tends to turn a funky grey in alkaline. For some reason when it is soaked in oil it doesn’t color the soap, I assume the oil traps the color in the flower tissue. Anyway the swirls don’t look as I imagined they would, though not as bad as I feared they would when I first added the soap.

The infused oil turned a dark green which looked very pleasant and rather summery as I poured it in the pot so I decided to add some green oxide, I didn’t stir it all in as I liked the streaky look it was making. For some reason the rose took this over, the citrus come through as a hint in the background. The color doesn’t match the scent. Next time I will add some lime to the mix and cut back on the rose. I also think I will try blue instead of green.

I got some ash with this one, my own fault. Yes euginia, I know I should have left it alone until morning but I was up to watch the eclipse but clouds wouldn’t let me see so I peaked. It was just a light crazing which I rinsed off and seems fine. I swear I could hear you telling me I was making a mistake, to leave it alone til daylight. I should have listened.

Still, even with the mistakes I love this soap. Even as new baby soap it smells lovely, and there is something about the texture, it looks like polished stone. I used my same basic recipe but it seems special. CareBear, you are so right when you talk about the synergy of the oils, and the additives become part of it.

post-7822-139458432854_thumb.jpg

WOW it sounds like you went to a lot of work for that "new baby soap" (love that term you used! LOL), but I bet it smells good.

I too think it looks like polished stone, jade even, and love the slight green that comes through with the veiny brown throughout.

I'm too chicken to mix scents like that, so kudos to you. :)

Cheryl.... you make me wanna start soapin' again!!! LOL It's been a week for me... tryin' to cut back a little. :D They look awesome, as usual. Just by your description... I bet they smell delish. Too bad my monitor's not scratch and sniff:(

Yes… I couldn’t wait for day 3, had to add water and see what it’s like. I still love it. Quick to lather like baby soap should, with a nice balance (I think) of stable creamy and bubbles. I think the orange zest must contain more oil that I would have thought as it seems very cleansing, took a thin coat of shortening right off and barely lost any suds. The citrus woke up just a tad with the water, I may need to keep the rose where I had it to get the effect I want, we will see.

I wish I had made a full batch of this, but I limit experiments to 2 lbs, and half of it is already spoken for. I have to buy more citrus fruit (so I can shave the zest off to dry and grind, which really upsets hubby, he says it makes it impossible for him to peal. I figure it’s easier for him to peal that way than for me to try to zest peal that’s not on the fruit). That will take a month and then I will find a swap to put it in, ok Carrie?

Michi, not really much work. I like to keep most of the ingredients handy for herb tea though I think I need to grind the herbs finer than I use in tea. I’ll try that next time, if my poor old grinder can do it…

MB.. ya know what? I think this one would make you feel better. The scent is so full of memories for me, I wish I could share it with everyone, and the warm fuzzy feeling the memories it brings me thinking of my grand parents.

Meridith… Top is not a new soaper, no how no way. I LOVE Top’s soaps… can’t be new… has to have years of experience to make those beauties!

Euginia… don’t you worry about the ph of the ash? Or will it mellow with age like the soap?

Donna… after seeing your last batches of creations you need to slow down ad give me a chance to catch up! The Purple Rain and Salty Mariner are prize winners and you know it! You challenge me to keep up.

Thank you every one for looking and liking… it keeps me soaping.

post-7822-139458433207_thumb.jpg

PH of the ash? Never gave it a thought and never will, LOL.

Either it's good soap or it's not. That is all I obsess about.

e

Good. I am absolutely sure if it had ever burned anyone you would worry about it then it wouldn’t be a good bar of soap and you’d worry about it. Now I can stop worrying about one it.Good. I am absolutely sure if it had ever burned anyone you would worry about it then it wouldn’t be a good bar of soap and you’d worry about it. Now I can stop obsessing about one it.

Jaybird… I was born in S. California; it’s where those memories were made. You know the scent I’m talking about… does it sound right to you? I promise everyone I will repeat this for a swap. Maybe a Christmas swap, as citrus and roses were big for my mom at Christmas. Maybe not what most people think of for Christmas, but if I add red swirls think I could get away with it?

Jaybird… I was born in S. California; it’s where those memories were made. You know the scent I’m talking about… does it sound right to you? I promise everyone I will repeat this for a swap. Maybe a Christmas swap, as citrus and roses were big for my mom at Christmas. Maybe not what most people think of for Christmas, but if I add red swirls think I could get away with it?

I'd say you nailed it. Of course, I'd need to try some to be ABsolutely certain (:whistle: hinthint :D )

To my mind, Xmas doesn't necessarily need to be santa red and pine green - it's gorgeous as is.