Peak's straight paraffin - Update

I have a crisis at hand..I'm on my last slab of 1343 & need to order more wax. I really like the 1343 as it's given me some nice results.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used Peak's straight paraffin. It sounds like it might be comparable to the 1343. Like most, if I switch waxes. I don't want to do anymore testing than I have to.:confused:

Would you settle for an educated guess?

I don't think you're going to get tons of replies because not many people have tried it yet. I'm not in a position to try it myself because Peak is too far away from me. If it were close by I'd certainly try it because I trust Alan's technical judgment.

The properties of a good general-purpose straight paraffin for candles aren't going to be anything outlandish. 1343 is pretty average apart from a woeful tendency to soften too much as it warms up. With about the same melting point or a touch higher, the Peak wax is liable to be very similar and maybe better.

We already know that it mottles decently because someone tried that. There's a photo in the gallery although it's a bit small and dark. Every wax has a different mottle look so you might have to judge aesthetics and adjust formulas for the degree of mottling you want. I would expect the biggest adjustment to be for people who like to make mottles.

As far as wicking goes, there's a pretty good chance that it will be the same. It could differ by one size. Even at the same melting point, waxes can vary in viscosity and melting properties. I wouldn't expect it to pose a huge testing problem.

Scent retention of straight paraffin doesn't vary all over the map at a given melting point. A 140 MP wax typically holds about 4% without additives. There's no reason to expect a huge difference. I've tried a lot of waxes and can pretty much predict their scent retention before they arrive.

So yeah, in all likelihood it's comparable. The amount of adjustment depends on what you like to make but it shouldn't be too hard. Considering your proximity to Colorado it's probably worth giving it a whirl.

Hopefully Peak will make a data sheet available soon we can at least compare wax properties on paper.

Thanks Top,

Peak's describes this wax as having an oil retention of 6-9% so that ain't bad. Don't think I have anything to lose by trying it -- I'll just order a supply of larger wicks--and while I'm placing my order, I'm sure I can find some FOs that I haven't tried....like I need an excuse :rolleyes2

Regarding the bulging w/1343 - I've been able to get it down to almost nothing by adding more stearic --but that's just adding more cost to the candles.

When I get it, I'll make a couple identical candles out of each wax & see how they compare.

Well, seeing as that's impossible for 140MP wax from this planet, I just checked and found you were looking in the wrong place. The preblend says 6-9% and the plain paraffin says 4%.

For candle purposes 1343 is basically cut and carve wax. Officially IGI offers 1242 for pillars but it's not available in the US, at least to us. Maybe the candle industry gets it. Still, if you're facile with additives you can make 1343 into anything you want and duplicate the basic properties of any pillar pre-blend. It's just not so good by itself and marginal even with stearic. Interestingly, the same applies to 1274 meaning it makes pretty so-so mottles unless you just want to look at them.

Peak's describes this wax as having an oil retention of 6-9% so that ain't bad.

That's a typo. The MP140 won't hold that much without any additives. 3-6% is more typical. The amount of FO retained will vary with each FO, and 4% is certainly a good starting point. I do apologize for the erroneous data.

I'm supposed to go through the specs on the site, double check them, and include my own notes. But my notes are on a tape recorder and with everything else going on, I've been dragging my feet at the prospect of going through them. This weekend though I'll go through the pages and check the specs/notes. :)

I just checked and found you were looking in the wrong place.

It may have been in the right place. I mentioned it to someone in the office a few minutes ago and the spec on the site may have been updated in those few short minutes.;)

Received my order of Peak's straight Paraffin. Made a couple candles and have burned them going on 2nd day.... Used same recipe: 3x4s, 3 tbl stearic, 1/2oz Black Canyon FO, both light colors, wicked both w/30ply

Only difference is that the 1343 has a tiny bit more bulging when marathon burned and is sweating a tad more. Melt pools are identical.

One other thing: the Peak's paraffin was easier to break up :D