reusing candles

hi everyone

my sister works at cvs and they were throwing out some tapers (red,white,ect.) that i guess melted and bent. She grabbed them for me thinking i could use them to remake candles to sell. They have no scent.

I have always used candle slabs from candle companys that are already preblended, i never played around with remelting candles to make new ones. Because i never knew whats in there or are they preblended or straight parrafin.

Has anyone ever tried to remake candles without knowing what additives are in there? Im just wondering if these no scented tapers will hold a scent.:confused:

I hate to not use them , maybe i could make some tarts or crumbles with them. Im going to make some tarts probably tomorrow and see how it goes, if anyone has any suggestions then please tell me.:undecided

yep I have melted tapers, pillars etc. You have to be careful though, the wicks are in there but I pull them out! as soon as I can!

As a matter of fact, I have over 200 tapers, (melted by now in the heat of the sunroom) that I plan on melting for campfire/fireplace firestarters. Hey, I don't want to use my precious palm wax! :laugh2: I am gonna open my wicker chest when the weather gets a little cooler so they will harden back up! :D Tapers can be broken so you can get the wicks out!

HTH

Lucky you. If it was me, I would be melting them to make chunks for chunk candles. Then you can still scent the wax that you pour in around the chunks.

Now I just make candles for my own use and break a lot of cardinal candle rules but I find that its stuff like this that helps me learn new stuff.

Be bold, Have fun :-)

Thank you everyone for all the helpful tips. The firestarters and the chunks is a great idea.Im going to put aside a dozen candles for them and to make some chunks... And the rest im going to make some tarts and let them sit for a couple days and then test them to see if they have a throw to them. Thanks again everyone:D