adding honey to cp soap

ayshapooh

Hi

Someone asked me to make some cp soap with just oatmeal and honey in it with no FO. I wanted to make a small test batch to see how it will turn out but have no idea how much honey to add per lb of soap and do I add it at trace? or in with the oils before I mix in the lye?

Any help is soooo appreciated :D

TIA

Sandy~WI

How about both honey and milk! I make a oatmeal milk and honey with no fragrance that people adore. I know that honey has antiseptic and healing properties, but how much that really transfers in soap I do not know. I think it helps with lather just like sugar does too. I use it at .8 oz (about 1 TB) ppo added at trace and soap everything RT. If found this about honey:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/asp/healthy_living/lifestyle/diet/honey/

Antibacterial properties

Honey is high in sugar, low in protein and quite acidic. These factors combine to make honey free from contaminants itself and help it to kill the contaminants it comes into contact with. The main antibacterial agent in honey is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), which is released when honey touches the skin. This is produced by the enzyme glucose oxidase which is introduced into honey by the bee. However various types of honey will contain slightly different antibacterial substances.

Read more information about antibiotics and first aid kits.

Scar prevention

Honey has a hygroscopic nature. This means that when honey is exposed to air, it draws moisture in from the air. This is very useful as honey may help to:

• prevent scarring by keeping the skin moist
  • help in the growth of new tissue
  • stop bandages from becoming stuck to an open wound if applied to the bandage before use

It is this nature which causes honey to be an ingredient in lots of cosmetics and make up, as it keeps the skin moist and fresh and prevents drying.

HTH,

Bethany

Antibacterial properties

Honey is high in sugar, low in protein and quite acidic. These factors combine to make honey free from contaminants itself and help it to kill the contaminants it comes into contact with.

There really isn't any antibacterial qualities once you've diluted honey. That only works when you've got honey at high concentrations.

Then I wonder why we are putting honey in soap..is there some other reason?

Because the sugar content in honey adds wonderful qualities to the soap's lather.

Also, the honey adds a wonderful, natural fragrance. Mine (with added oatmeal) smells like fresh baked honey graham crackers.

edited to answer the original question: I use .5oz ppo in my honey soap. At this usage level I get a really great scent from the honey. I also reserve a bit of water from my recipe and warm it in the microwave. Then I add the honey to the water (along with my oatmeal) and make a slurry that I add to the soap at very light trace. I don't insulate and place it under an open air conditioning vent.

I usually add sugar to my lye water, so should I omit that if I decide to use honey or keep the sugar and add the honey- or does it even make a difference if I use one or the other, sounds like they both do the same thing? Honey does add appeal to the labeling vs sugar I think...........:confused:.

I omit sugar when I use honey mainly out of fear of over heating the soap. I do use a lot of honey by comparison to what others here have said; I use 2 Tb, per lb.

Do be warned. Your soap will probably turn a bright florescent orange! Don’t panic… by the next day it will “fade” to a dull brown, and a week later will start really fading to a pleasant sort of buff colored brown.

I omit sugar when I use honey mainly out of fear of over heating the soap. I do use a lot of honey by comparison to what others here have said; I use 2 Tb, per lb.

Do be warned. Your soap will probably turn a bright florescent orange! Don’t panic… by the next day it will “fade” to a dull brown, and a week later will start really fading to a pleasant sort of buff colored brown.

Ok I made a few batches today with honey & sugar. I mixed the honey in my oils and then added my lye solution, it did thicken up rather quickly, but I didn't notice any funky color change. Grrr I am going to be p*ssed if the soap turns brown.

Ok I made a few batches today with honey & sugar. I mixed the honey in my oils and then added my lye solution, it did thicken up rather quickly, but I didn't notice any funky color change. Grrr I am going to be p*ssed if the soap turns brown.

Don't complain cuz it didnt change! It seems to have a lot to do with the honey, what brand, probabaly what flowers the bees fed on. Each batch I make is different. If it does darken just wait. mine always lightens up as it cures, just takes a bit of time. My first batch of oatmeal honey soap turned the brightest florescent orange! stayed that way for about 3 days before darkening, then faded to wonderful golden brown the next day. The last batch i made (12 days ago) turned a golden orange color then went dark brown in a matter of hours, and has barely faded at this time. All from the same recipe, only thing different is the honey (started a new bottle for this last batch). I hope you will share some pictures soon.