M&P Question about additives?

JMCintosh

I have heard about adding cucumber and other vegy's to CP soap and was woundering if things like that or even baby food can be added to MP soaps? One person I talked to on line says "no" because she thinks it would mold and the other says she has done it with banana's and it worked great. So who is right? :undecided

Ooooh no don't do that LOL Mp soap would become rancid and yucky if you add anything other than herbs. Even adding certain herbs will turn black in mp soap unfortunately. You can add banana to hp I think. I do rebatching cp soap and you can definitely banana. You can add other veggies to cp because I believe the lye kills any mold that may occur. Please someone else chime in if I'm incorrect because i'm no expert. Just a soap lover!!

If you want a long lasting soap-- that is to say soap that lasts for weeks or months forget about adding items that spoil like bananas or avacado. Its fine to add dried ingredients to your M&P but fresh fruit and veggies do go rancid after a couple of weeks.

If you are just making the soap for yourself for immediate use then its perfectly fine to experiment. I believe I have an avacado recipe for M&P. Hmmm... will have to check my M&P bible for that to be sure.. Will check after work today and if I find a recipe for adding 'fresh' fruit or veggies I will post it.

:)