gb415 abd mc FO

I bought a few of MC Fo and so far I am dissapointed. I am using eco 16 wicks in 16oz jars (12oz wax to 1 oz FO) and I am having little throw. I have tried so far Mulled Cider and Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper. Neither of which have much of a throw. My FO from Makes Scents (mulled cider) smelled fantastic. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. Adding FO at 175 and pouring slushy.

I think MC is no good either. I was not impressed by their fos, however I'm the only person who thinks that! Everyone else just raves about their fo. Their clamshells make my tarts smell like skunks, I think most of their f.o.s are skunky too. Everyone else will disagree with me I'm sure! But you and me may be the only ones!! It's funny too because MC & CS get f.o.s from Belle-Aire, one would think they should be the same quality. My guess is they cut the strength.

try adding your mc oils at a lower temp. it works & they are fantastic oils.

i use the gb 415 & alot of mc oils & i've never had a complaint about the throw in 5-6yrs of making candles with mc oils. i suggest again to lower the temp you add your fo. i also use cotton wicks.

How long are you curing your candles for? I've noticed that pure soy, (I use GB415) needs to cure longer for better/stronger HT results. I've used MC oils and have been happy with about 1/2 of the scents that I have tried. It's hit or miss with any fo supplier when your working with soy.

I add my fo at 175-180, pour at around 100 and usually get a great HT after about a 2 to 4 week cure. There are so many variables to candle making and results will vary from person to person, what works for one might not work for another.

I have great luck with the MC FO's although I use 444 wax. I agree to add your FO at a cooler temp to see if that helps. One question though, where do you find ECO 16 wicks? I get my ECO's at BC and they only have up to 14. A 16 may help me with one of my jars.

You got to be kidding me.I have 400 fragrances in my line, so I know scent. MCs are some of the best scents that I have tried. I can't keep sweet orange and chili pepper on the shelf. Their cinnamon vanilla is the best all around. There are very few scents that I have tried that are weak. I find them to be one of the better companies as far as scent throw. I have used straight soy and now a soy blend. I just don't have any problems with their oils. I would think it may be your wax. Ot the amount of oil you are using. You may have to go up a wick size too. Carol K is an expert with straight soy and Mcs oils. Talk to her. I have a bunch of her tarts and stuff and it is all great and all from MC's.

i use 1.5oz.pp on some of them & some i use 1oz.pp.

thank you debra p. i'm no expert but i've been using mc's oils along time & i just don't have any trouble getting them to throw, i've found a couple that are to light throwing for me but that's it.

i would suggest to some of the posters to go back to square 1 do alot more reading, pick 1 wax, 1 size/kind of jar, 1 wick style. i have read all of your post & several of you are obiviously new to candlemaking quit jumping from wax to wax, wick style to wick style you are never going to get it figured out until you do. i do not mean this in a mean way, i'm really trying to help.

I was using 464, but wanted to try straight soy. THe wicks are eco14 not 16 and I am using 1oz per 12oz wax. Which seems like it would be enough. I am going to try and cure them longer. I am in love with MC Cinnamon Vanilla and just poured a candle with this and I am going to let it cure about a week and see what that does. I just get too anxiuos to smell them and I think that I burn too soon. The AC is also on in the house non stop because it has been so hot and I notice that my throws are weaker when is on.

I have several oils from Millcreek that have a great scent throw. :) But, like all companies there are several oils that did not work in my soy or the 70/30. I could not get Sweet Orange and Chilli Pepper to throw in the 70/30 (have not tried it in my soy yet -- most likely will be the same result -- but may try it). It was not even all that strong in my wickess which I found odd. It could just be my nose....maybe I just can't smell that scent very well. My tester could not smell it well in the 70/30 wicked candle either.

You have to find the right oils for your wax. It takes time with a lot of patience and persistence.....and money. And if one person uses the same wax and says the same oil has a great throw but it does not to you, then it could be other factors -- type of wick (for burn quality), how much oil, size of room and house it is tested in, and maybe your nose can't smell it as well. This can be really frustrating. :( Also, I think that what one thinks is a great throw may not be a great throw to another.

I add the oils at 175 and the ones that I have luck with have a great scent throw being added at this temp.

Good luck with your testing! :)

I couldnt get Sweet Orange Chilie Pepper to throw for me either in 70/30 but carmel apple will blow the doors off...so like everyone says it just all depends but you may want to try curing a little longer if you are using pure soy in order to get the full strenght of the oil! :cheesy2:

i use 1.5oz.pp on some of them & some i use 1oz.pp.

thank you debra p. i'm no expert but i've been using mc's oils along time & i just don't have any trouble getting them to throw, i've found a couple that are to light throwing for me but that's it.

i would suggest to some of the posters to go back to square 1 do alot more reading, pick 1 wax, 1 size/kind of jar, 1 wick style. i have read all of your post & several of you are obiviously new to candlemaking quit jumping from wax to wax, wick style to wick style you are never going to get it figured out until you do. i do not mean this in a mean way, i'm really trying to help.

Good point Carol!

One wax at a time, one wick at a time. Candle making takes patience.

thank you waxflower.

i myself started out trying everything i wished someone would have told me to slow down. it's hard to do but to be successful at making candles you have to make a choice & stick with it & test, test, & test somemore keep notes on everything you do. you can not properly test 10 different waxes in a short amount of time. decide if you want to make container candles or pillars & stick with one or the other until you have mastered that choice & then move onto another choice. it gets way to confusing to have so many things going at one time. i have read on lot of the boards that natural waxes take natural wicks, personally i like & use mc's cotton wicks. candle sciences csn wicks for my glass glow palm that i'm still testing. good luck

I have great luck with the MC FO's although I use 444 wax. I agree to add your FO at a cooler temp to see if that helps. One question though, where do you find ECO 16 wicks? I get my ECO's at BC and they only have up to 14. A 16 may help me with one of my jars.

CandleScience has pre assembled and spooled ECO 16.