Soapnuts!

Jadryga

I want to try this stuff! :D

(excerpt from http://www.naturalcosmeticsupplies.com/soap-nut.html)

Soap nut is used in Cleansing Lotion, Protein Shampoo, Protein Shampoo with Conditioner. Soap nut contains a high level of saponins. Antibacterial mild foaming agent, cleanser, exfoliant. Soap nut Powder is used to cleanse hair, skin and laundry. Helpful in removing stains from hands. May soothe the eczema, psoriasis, itchy skin, sensitive skin . Soapnut is an excellent hair tonic. Soap Nut extract comes from the fruit of the Soapnut tree. The pulp of the fruit contains a high level of natural foaming agents. This extract can be used to wash skin and hair. Soap nut when added to a facial mix of milk powder and clay to provide delicate cleansing of the skin, it is added to salt scrubs to add cleansing action. As a hair and body wash, add 1 teaspoon of Soap nut extract to a cup of water. Use this as a hair wash or mild cleanser. Soap nut can also be combined with Amla, Neem & Shikakai extract for a more nutritive hair wash. Mix all of the herbs in water and let sit till thoroughly dissolved. The wash should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti bacterial preservative.

The powdered seeds are said to possess insecticide properties. They are employed in the treatment of dental caries. It cleanses the skin of oily secretion, its a hair tonic, and forms a rich, natural lather. Its detergent action, which cleanses the hair and removes, accumulated debris and a sebaceous material further more imparting speculiar reflection and hair luster.

Anyone have any experience with it? Was thinking of getting some from Aromatics & More.

http://www.aromaticsandmore.com/products/botanical_extracts1.html

I'd probably use it in a facial wash with some glycerin, honey, oatmeal and agave :) I've found that liquid castile soap has this odd smell that permeates my unscented stuff...

From what I've read, soapnuts are very effective cleaners. You can buy them whole (heck, even Safeway down my street carries it!) and grind it into a powder using a coffee grinder. The more surface area the better to release the saponins from the shell. Also, using warm water will release more saponins.

Lavida, did you get the soapnut shells and grind them up or did you use the extract? I'm wondering how much you would need as a percentage of the total recipe (face care, hair care, etc). TIA

I wasn't measuring at the time I was using it... I used equal amounts of each herb and used tsp's - tbs of total mixtureand added it my shampoo recipe (how much of what I used depended on how much shampoo I was making. Back then I was only using a castille soap base... I plan on incorporating the same mixture in a home grown shampoo..)

as for the scrub... try 1 - 2 tsp (I only buy soapnut powder from FNWL) to 4 oz of scrub... I will double check my notes later to make sure that's what I did. But it worked great. The soap I tried adding left a funky film on my skin, but the soapnut was perfect!

I tried using the soapnut in a dry facial cleanser that I mixed with water to make a paste. I got some in my eyes and thought I would pee my pants. Water didn't help--made it worse. I rinsed my eyes with olive oil to help the burn. My eye was blood red and felt like it had sand paper in it for the rest of the evening. By the next morning it was okay though. After all that, I loved the way it made my skin feel. My face felt clean without feeling dry and it was soft. I'm going to have to pull it back out and try it again.

I tried using the soapnut in a dry facial cleanser that I mixed with water to make a paste. I got some in my eyes and thought I would pee my pants. Water didn't help--made it worse. I rinsed my eyes with olive oil to help the burn. My eye was blood red and felt like it had sand paper in it for the rest of the evening. By the next morning it was okay though. After all that, I loved the way it made my skin feel. My face felt clean without feeling dry and it was soft. I'm going to have to pull it back out and try it again.

OUch :( Glad to hear there was no lingering damage!

I used the soapnut powder in my face cleanser formulation. It doesn't get bubbly and foamy like a soap bar does. It foams, but not profusely. Although it burns like heck if it gets in your eyes, it is a gentle cleanser for the skin.