Natural melt and pour

MochaMama

I know that "natural" is not a word regulated by the FDA so there are no true guidelines for manufacturers to say what is natural and what is not (learned that from reading here), but SFIC says their base is 100% natural. However, I have also read that melt and pour soap base is not natural.

Is SFIC base considered "natural" by most people? Following this, if I made a soap scent with essential oil and colored it with carrot juice or what have you, could I then claim that bar was 100% natural.

I am in the process of making label for my soaps and was wondering if I could possibly place on the label "100% natural". This seems to be a big thing where I live!

Thanks in advance.

are you sure SFIC is condsidered or claims to be natural? I just popped over to their site and saw where they said they use "100% Natural Vegetable Oil", but that's the only place I saw *natural*.

So to address your question, I would say NO, that you can't claim your product to be natural. IMO (and I could be wrong, but it's my opinion) ALL ingredients would have to be natural, not just your color & scent, and I'm guessing there's something else in that soap other than just their "natural vegetable oil"

If you want *natural* on the label, just refer to the color & scent.

Whoops! My mistake! It says "natural soap base" and it's "100% soap" (as opposed to detergents etc.) I combined the two in my head.

On other sites where they are reselling the SFIC soap base, it claims to be 'all natural' soap base.

However, I think it's best, considering soapmom's and carebear's comments, to just say 100% soap with natural fragrance and color. Or 100% soap with fragrance and color.

Or, I could leave it off the label entirely and just discuss it if the customer asks.

It's a lot easier testing soap than getting ready for selling, that's for sure. There are so many things to consider.

Thank you for your help.

I dont put natural anything because I use herbs and liquid colorants for my soap. I do however put that the bases I use are detergent free/sufactant free/ sulfates. I know that mp bases are not natural and are considered a detergent soap. So just think about how you want to label and be as honest as possible.