Quick Opinion Needed - Kitchen Soap

Angel91805

So, I'm itching to make kitchen soap today. Cuz, you know, I didn't have enough other stuff to do......

I have coffee grounds almost dry and ready.

My scent selection is confuddling me though....The only EO I have is lemongrass. Other than that, I've got BW Lemon Tart, Solas Lemon Sugar or Peak's Vanilla Hazelnut.

I think I have some poppy seeds...and I *may* be able to unearth some cornmeal from the back of the pantry......

So, with a lot of imagination and a little bit of magic....I can do kitchen soap.

SO....what scent/FO/EO should I use??

Donna

I think a lemon scent would work - it seems to be a component in many kitchen soaps I've seen on my mooching around...

Tried it myself though and absolutely hated the mix of lemon and coffee...lol

I just use the coffee grounds as the exfoliant and a small amount of peppermint EO for the 'other' fragrance... It survives in M&P and CP well and for myself personally, just seems to sit better with the coffee scent from the grounds providing you only add a small quantity...

Coffee with coffee didn't do it for me - or maybe it's just a different natural preference in the UK (still a nation of tea lovers after all! lol)...

Minty scents always seem to impart a sense of 'clean and fresh' too... Helpful with a kitchen soap I think... ;-)

Ann-Marie x

I just finished cleaning my kitchen and (as has become my habit) grabbed a chunk of soap out of the test bowl. It happened to be a piece of kitchen soap (made with coffee and cornmeal) that was sitting under a chunk of lemon soap for who knows how long. I didn’t realize it until I started lathering it up… but it had absorbed the scent of the lemon oil a bit… and was actually pleasant (I did not scent the kitchen soap at all as it was from my original test batch). I was surprised as I expected the lemon to clash with the coffee when I read this thread and thought about it this morning.

I usually see Orange EO in kitchen soaps to help cut grease some, but lemon EO makes sense to me as well. I know rubbing lemon wedges on your hands will help get rid of the smell of garlic or onions... don't remember which. And ages and ages ago when I waitressed, we'd clean out the coffee pots by swishing the pots with ice, salt and lemon wedges. Lemon EO is an excellent cleanser!

I bought lemon kitchen soap with cornmeal and oatmeal. I liked it better than coffee because it was sooo clean smelling. I would buy it again over the coffee even tho I love the smell of coffee. Poppyseeds in lemon soap sounds good to me cause I like my lemon poppyseed bread!lol

Thanks for all the suggestion! Still no soap yet, though. :laugh2: The coffee grounds I was attempting to use were like powder (Flavia single serve), and then I've had multiple 8-10 yr old boys streaking through my house the past few days. :tiptoe: BUT, it is being made tomorrow, for sure!

If it comes out...I'll post pics.

Donna

I've soaped it with lots of different FO/EO's. The coffee grinds import no smell, so let your imagination run wild!

e

I put coffee grounds in my soaps not for smell, but for looks and a little exfoliation action. I use actual coffee and/or FO for the scent.