Direct use of FO on skin

Lace

Hi, I read the post below that says one should always cut skin safe fragrance oil but I am wondering does anyone know why ? Will it irritate the skin or something? Has anyone had any experience using it directly on the skin or is this hear say ??? I read where Perfume is just cut with alcohol which I am sure evaporates immediately when sprayed or put on the skin leaving the FO directly on the skin - right ????:confused:

Would appreciate any replies !

Thanks !

Contact dermititis is very real - neat fragrance oils and essential oils are not a good idea. That's an understatement - I should put it in capital letters since it's something I feel strongly about :) You might get away without problems, and you might hear others say they've never had any problems, but you could be setting yourself, and others, up for major problems. You never know what someone will be sensitive to, or when a problem can occur. Why take the chance?

Fragrances are one of the main causes of irritation in b&b products.

A perfume, diluted to 30% alcohol, leave a LOT less chemical on your skin that dabbing a single drop of it neat. It's all in the dilution.

It is *extremely* important that you don't use these neat. I don't even use lavender and tea tree essential oil neat anymore - and those are supposedly safe. I've become more sensitive to scents - I've gotten a rash from a few before. I never do anything with straight fragrances without gloves or a mask.

Contact dermititis:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000869.htm

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/contact_dermatitis/article_em.htm

Safety of EOs (relevant to FOs as well since FOs can contain EOs and their individual chemical constituents)

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalPerfumery/message/14666

http://www.naha.org/articles/aromatherapy%20undiluted.htm

Fragrance oils and essential oils are extremely concentrated and will definitely irritate skin (badly) if used in high concentrations. Fragrance oils and most essential oils that aren't diluted make my skin itch like mad, even if it's just a little bit of residue on a tissue.

Let's say you use 2% of eo in a perfume. Let's say you spray twice which would be maybe... (this is just a guess) 0.01 oz of perfume. 2% of that is 0.0001 oz of eo, diffused over a large area of skin. Now, it's strong enough for you to smell it, for people near you to smell it, and for it to last for hours. Some people get irritated skin from perfumes. Imagine a whole DROP.

Certain essential oils like lavender, tea tree and manuka can be used neat, but only in small doses, and there is still a chance of sensitization or irritation. This should only be done if you know what you're doing. Research is your best friend :D

I personally feel this same way even about cosmetic grade FO's. You are putting chemical directly on the skin, when you could just mix it with a carrier get the same strenght fragrance and be putting a safer product on your skin.

Everyone has difference skin chemistry, so better safe than sorry!

Yes, they are made to be strong and you're supposed to dilute them. If they were suitable for direct use on skin, think of how much more you'd have to use in other applications such as soaps or candles. Instead of using 1 oz per pound of wax, you'd have to use 1/4 lb per pound of wax!