Need help with making whipped shea butter....

Michi

Ok, kind of using two recipes here- partly ShannonJ's and partly MysticGlow's recipes. ;)

Shannons calls for:

1lb. shea butter

1oz. light oil

1/2oz. vit. e oil

1/2oz. FO

MysticGlow's calls for:

1lb. shea butter

4.5-5oz light oil

.5-1 oz FO

1-2 tsp cornstarch

Ok, so I was thinking that 4-5 ounces of oils would be more than I really wanted to put into this, besides the fact that I only have a 2oz. bottle of almond oil. ;)

But, I was also thinking that the cornstarch would help with the "greasiness" right?

So, here is what I did:

1lb. unrefined shea butter

1oz. almond oil

.2 oz. vit. E oil (it was just taking entirely too long to squish the oil out of my capsules!! LOL)

1 oz. mango papaya FO (I started with just .5oz. but the shea was overpowering and couldn't smell the FO at all.) I used the mango papaya cuz it just seems to "go with" the shea butter KWIM?? ;)

2 tsp. cornstarch (I started with just one, rubbed into my arm, and seemed REALLY greasy, so added the other tsp. and this really seemed to help "absorb" into my skin better??)

Ok, so I'm whipping it now, and it's really light and fluffy (I'm amazed), but just HOW LONG do I whip it? Do I need to refrig/freeze it at all? I've read where some did, some didn't, I just don't know??

How long will it take before I know if it's going to stay whipped?

I'm sooo proud of myself for making something from "scratch" I could just do this :yay: LOL

My son has been helping me "whip" it, but he got bored. LOL

I've got pics. too.

Ok, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Off to keep whipping until I hear otherwise. LOL

So, do you think the recipe is ok?

I know one thing, making this stuff has got to make all of us have the most moisturized hands in the world huh? I can barely type right now, I'm sooo lubed up!! LOL :D

Oh, and Judy's (Mysticglow) recipe had a preservative in it, but I don't have any, and I had heard/seen where if it doesn't have any water in it, it wasn't necessary, is this true?

Not that I'm gonna sell it, but since I made sooo much, I may have to start giving it away at least for people to try it out for me right? ;)

Mine settles a little, too. A neat little trick I found is to stop whipping JUST before it looks done - it takes a few times, but you finally get it down, and ladle it into your jars RIGHT AWAY. That way, it stays beautiful on top, and while it settles a little, you actually get a terrific, light and fluffy consistency.