Infra red thermometer

Does anyone use one of these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150147177632&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

I need something more robust than the glass ones I keep breaking & I just saw these on Ebay in U.K....you just point the thing at whatever you're cooking press the button & an infra red laser beam reads the temperature.....no glass for me to smash!

It's £8.99 inc the postage so not horrendously expensive unless it's as inaccurate as the digital probe thermometer I bought a while back.

Failing that it will have to be another metal backed jam one but I broke my last one of them too :sad2: .

Sally.

I use one sorta like that. Actually, I have two since I dropped one on a concrete floor and it hasn't been the same since.:embarasse I got mine from Harbor Freight. I had 4 thermometers, candy, meat, digital and the infra red. The candy and meat thermometers all gave different readings in the same wax. Temps. varied as much as 30+ degrees. The digital and infra reds were within 2 degrees of each other. You just have to be careful how you hold it. If you hold it too close you will get a reading of the bottom of your container or side if your holding it at an angle. Mine gives readings with and without the infra red light, just point and hold. Easy as can be!

I use one sorta like that. Actually, I have two since I dropped one on a concrete floor and it hasn't been the same since.:embarasse I got mine from Harbor Freight. I had 4 thermometers, candy, meat, digital and the infra red. The candy and meat thermometers all gave different readings in the same wax. Temps. varied as much as 30+ degrees. The digital and infra reds were within 2 degrees of each other. You just have to be careful how you hold it. If you hold it too close you will get a reading of the bottom of your container or side if your holding it at an angle. Mine gives readings with and without the infra red light, just point and hold. Easy as can be!

Hi, I had my husband buy me one of these from Harbor Freight, and that's exactly the problem I encountered- it measured the temp of the bottom of my pour pot! I gave up quickly after I realized that, and would love to know what the trick to this is?

How far from the surface of the wax should you hold it?

Thanks!

Hi, I had my husband buy me one of these from Harbor Freight, and that's exactly the problem I encountered- it measured the temp of the bottom of my pour pot! I gave up quickly after I realized that, and would love to know what the trick to this is?

How far from the surface of the wax should you hold it?

Thanks!

Mine I hold about one inch from the melted wax or whatever surface I want to measure the temperature of. I also have a probe that I can use to insert into the melted wax to get the tempreature that way as well.....HTH

Mike