Amish candles

I just came back from a trip through the Amish country in Ohio, where I stopped in every candle shop I could find. People rave about the Amish craftsmanship, and flock to their shops.

However I was not inpressed. The candles were listed as the dreaded "triple scented" variety. First, it was difficult to smell them at all, and second they looked like @#$%. It was like a clinic of candle flaws. Bubbles, wet spots, off center wicks, and wax dribbled down the inside of the jar. Obviously hand poured, but poorly. One store had a glass viewing section where visitors could watch the process. Truthfully, it looked like a messier version of my production area. (I didn't think messier was possible) One thing caught my eye, which most folks probably wouldn't have noticed. There was a test burn tray just inside the window, where three tests had been conducted. The hours were listed for each candle, but the burns were really bad. One had a hole burned down the middle, and about 1/2 inch of wax on the walls of the jar, one must have had an off center wick, because it burned up against the wall of the jar on one side, leaving unmelted wax all the way to the top on the other side. The third burned about 2/3 of the way down and had a massive soot ring around the rim.

The votives were really a mess.

I didn't take my camera, so no photos, but it was bad!

So anyway, I came away from there really feeling good about my product. If you need an ego boost, go to an Amish candle shop in Ohio. Any little imperfections in your candles will disappear after your trip.

Fredron

Guest LightofDawn

Fredron,

Where was this shop located at? I live very close to Amish country and would like to check it out.

Thanks

Dawn

One store had a glass viewing section where visitors could watch the process. Truthfully, it looked like a messier version of my production area.

Fredron

I bet you're talking about Heartland/Walnut Creek Candle below the Antique Mall in Berlin! LOL! If so, you speak the truth. But those candles are not your true so called amish candles. There are only a handfull of true amish candlemakers in this area. If you visited one, you would know it because most of them have a home-based business, in the middle of nowhere with no electricity. The bulk of them specialize in carved candles.

If you visited the mainstream area (Berlin, Walnut Creek, Sugarcreek), 80% of those gift shops are filled with retail "made in china" crap. True amish craftsmanship is usually found off the beaten path. The term "Amish" as been very commercialized in this area. I refuse to use the word amish to promote my products.

No I am not amish, incase you are wondering.. it's a nickname given to me long ago.

I know what shop you are talking about. I was there last summer and they weren't pouring candles than, just packaging stuff up. At one time this location sold over a million dollars worth of candles each year. Since than the the original company was bought out. I have talked to the original owner and they were the first ones to come up with the cupcake candle. They would have Amish women come in to help frost the cupcakes and got paid by the piece. She said these ladies became pretty darn fast. It was interesting talking to her.

Janet

The two I visited were in Berlin, Ohio. One was called Wax n Wick. I thought that was odd, since my company is Waxes 'n Wicks.

There was an Amish girl icing the cupcake candles, but she wasn't too quick-didn't look like she was getting paid by the piece.

I did try to track another one down way out in God's country, and when we got there, it didn't inspire confidence, so we didn't stop. I doubt if they had electricity, and was one of the most run down looking Amish palces I've seen.

Don't ask me where that one was, I think we passed Cuba somewhere along the line, but the roads out there are not on Ohio maps. I tried dropping bread crumbs to follow back, but the horses ate them, and we were lost for a while.

Fredron

A few years ago, my daughter's class went to Amish Country here in PA and one of the stops was a candle shop. I saw pretty much the same thing. The demonstration was fun to watch. They poured wax out of a spigot from a big melter into a metal pour pot, tossed in some powdered dye and additives, then poured the FO straight out of the gallon container into the wax. No measuring whatsoever. I guess they don't know about wick pins for votives either because they just poured the wax into the molds and plopped the wick in. No wonder they don't have centered wicks. I didn't buy any but they were selling them pretty cheap.

Well if their candles aren't up to par, I guess one could assume since they have no electricity and aren't into the 'computer' age, they have never found CT and therefore have no idea how to make a great candle! They must not have done their research and tested, tested, tested to make sure they have the best safest product they can produce! Gee, if only they would get some electricity and join the computer world! :rolleyes2 :laugh2:

I thought the Amish were known for such quality products and workmanship. Ginger

The majority are quite skilled. Every culture has it's own identity, kind of like the Italian's are known for pasta & tomato sauce. So does that mean all Italians can make a great pot spaghetti? Not necessarily.

Well I live very near the area. I live in Tuscawaras County where Sugar Creek is located. The rest are in Belin or Holmes county It really is kinda sad because so many of the shops out there won't deal with quality candle makers like myself. Unless I setup outside at the flea market out there, I haven't got a chance in heck and I make good quality soy candles that burn properly and are very well scented.

I watched some Amish women go shopping for candle supplies once and it was a hoot!

Not only do the candles generally not burn well nor scent a room, but they cost a fortune!!!:lipsrseal

I'd love to get my candles out in Amish country but it VERY hard to get your foot in the stores out there. They're very nice people and they'll take your free candle and info or free clamshells and info but you don't hear back from them! If you stop back, "We're very sorry but we don't know what happened to the candle/ clamshell you left. Could you leave another one????:rolleyes2

Fire

Hi Amish Ragdoll! Good to hear from you!

Where I go in Shipshewana IN all the stores there that I have seen the candles are all manufactured.

The stores there really play off the Amish community and let the public think that a lot of the stuff is made by the Amish that live in the city but it's not. Which I think is tacky to say the least.

There's a few stores that have the real handcrafted items but you really have to look for them none of it being candles tho mostly quilts.

Where I go in Shipshewana IN all the stores there that I have seen the candles are all manufactured.

The stores there really play off the Amish community and let the public think that a lot of the stuff is made by the Amish that live in the city but it's not. Which I think is tacky to say the least.

There's a few stores that have the real handcrafted items but you really have to look for them none of it being candles tho mostly quilts.

My friend has a cottage in Shipshewana. I have gone almost every year for over 25 years. Never once did I think the Amish make what is in the shops in town nor at the flea market. For that matter, most of it isn't hand crafted. The Amish do work and run stuff like the cheese factory and so on. They do work in the bakery and all over town and do make homemade goodies to buy also. Most of the trees and flowers in the flea market are from Amish farms. The furniture they build is just gorgeous.

They sell mostly name brand candles in the shops. They did at one time have a shop where you could see some being made, but it wasn't the Amish making them. Other than working around town during the auction and flea market season they stay to themselves.