First post....First rookie question...

Hello all!

I've been reading these boards for a week or so and I gotta tell ya...I never would have guessed there was soooo much to learn about making candles! Awesome board, and awesome group of people here! I'm so thankful I found you! :yay:

Anyway...I spent my weekend playing around with my votive candle starter kit and I'm hooked! (note the rolling of hubby's eyes when he kept wondering where I went to and he could always find me at the computer reading reading and reading some more! lol) So I'm putting together a list of things I need to make some different scents and something keeps nagging at me. Figured better to ask and be sure than keep wondering and do something I shouldn't!

Scoping out the zillions of scents to choose from (how can I only pick a few??!!!!) and I'm wondering about the flash points. Is it bad to use a FO that has a lower flash point than the temp I will be melting the wax to? I thought I remembered reading somewhere not to use FO's with a FP below 200 but I can't find it again. I don't think hubby would be happy if I torched the kitchen with my new hobby/obsession. :rolleyes2

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :bow:

Denya in Illinois

It is a pretty good rookie question. Yes you can use FO with a flash point below 200. I can not for the life of me find the formula for this but I will give you the basics.

When you combine two things with different flash points example the flash point of wax is somewhere around 450 and a FO flash point is 170, the flash point after they have been combined is going to be close to 350 which is great for regular candles as the melt pool should not exceed about 160 you need your finished candle to have a FP of at least 100 above your melt pool temp. So that mean you can get even lower in your FP for the FO I try to stay above 135 for candles anything lower than that you are putting yourself at risk. A lot of citrus FOs have a low flash point.

I hope Alan or one of the other more math guru guys will come along with the mathematical formula for this.

Guest Candelishis

Hi Denya. Where in IL are ya from? I'm down south in Nashville, IL.

Uhh...yeah, what Vicky said...LOL...I don't know the math for it either, I just know that I try to stay above 150 with FP's just to be on the safe side! Never had a problem so far.

LOL...there's a LONG story behind my nickname. In fact it goes back about 8 or so years now. Hubby calls it my alter ego, but at least it's shorter than my given name. Maybe I'll find a way to incorporate it into a company name if I ever get serious about candles, but for right now I'm just goofing around for myself. :)

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Denya