Newbie Melt & Pour ?

Dailen

I got a recipe that came with my soap mold to make a goats milk, brown sugar, oatmeal m&p soap. The soap recipe calls for vitamin E as a preservative Does anyone know if that is the Vitamin E oil you find in the beauty dept or the vitamin E in the capsules :confused: Also can you add EO's to melt n pour soap. I have peppermint, tangerine, and lavender eo's?

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie.

Hi there, as for the Vitamin E you can really use any kind. I use the Vitamin E Capsules which are 400 UI each (just place a small slit with a knife and seeze) or you can use Vitamin E Oil that can be found in grocery stores or Walmart for example, here they are always in the <<natural products>> section. Those say something like 30,000 UI on the bottle but that's the entire bottle, they are usually something like 5 drops for 100 UI. Or you can buy some from the soap supply places online (choices of synthetic or natural). They all work! :) HTH.

EDITED TO ADD: Vitamin E is Tocopheryl Acetate or Tocopherol

Melany

You might try a local health food store for the Vitamin E oil. Not sure if you can use the capsules. You would have to break them and squeeze the oil out and it sounds messy.

You can also buy Vitamin E oil at most soap suppliers.

Your recipe sounds like a nice one. I add honey and oatmeal to my goat's milk for a nice creamy exfoliating soap.

I don't add Vitamin E to my M&P, but I do add Coconut Oil (not the fragrance oil). Coconut Oil gives a nice lather ... I use 1 tablespoon per pound of soap.

Yes, you can add EO's to your soap, or fragrance oils that is skin safe. When I add fragrance oil, I usually add 1 tablespoon per pound of soap as well.

Thank you all for your responses. I do have some palm oil, coconut oil-76, sweet almond oil, and cocoa butter. My mom and I were going to try cp soap but chickened out so I have the oils still. We may give it a try this fall though. Can I use the coconut oil-76 to act as a perservative? I am adding brown sugar and oatmeal to the goats milk m&p soap so I need to add something to help perserve it so it doesn't get yucky.

Thank you all for your responses. I do have some palm oil, coconut oil-76, sweet almond oil, and cocoa butter. My mom and I were going to try cp soap but chickened out so I have the oils still. We may give it a try this fall though. Can I use the coconut oil-76 to act as a perservative? I am adding brown sugar and oatmeal to the goats milk m&p soap so I need to add something to help perserve it so it doesn't get yucky.

I use the 76 degree CO in my M&P. But not as a preservative. You won't need any preservatives in M&P because the bases are already blended.

As a general rule you will not want to add more than 2 tablespoons of additives (or combo of additives) to 1 lb of your M&P. Thats a general rule. I have added more on occasion when recipes call for it.

If you follow the recipe you should be okay because it has been tested already.

As for using essential oils, you usually have to use much less of them than you do with fragrance oils. I think the rule of thumb is to use about .5-1% per pound of soap (but please check this out for yourself - you make need to adjust your levels according to your soap base).

Enjoy melt and pour. I know I've gone through at least 10 lbs of soap experimenting and tweaking. It's really fun!