What size Poly zip bag for packaging regular sized tarts?

Holly

I am searching for the right sized bag for regular sized tarts. As far as I can tell, my tarts are 2 1/4 inches wide. I have noticed those who package them in zip bags have bags that are fairly snug. For those of you who package them in these, what size do you use and what is the width of your tart? It looks like the most common size that is close would be a 3 X 3 but that may have too much extra room. I do see a 2 1/2 X 3 at Uline, and I am thinking this might be the best, but hope that the 2 1/2 will be ample enough for the 2 1/4 width -- not a lot of room for error. Thanks for any input. :)

I use the 3x3. I make the fluted ones and the mini muffin ones. When they are in the bag, they are snug where they don't move too much. I think the smaller bag will be too tight.

Thanks. :) That helps me make a decision. I use the fluted ones too. I will give them a try.

I used the 4x4 ones with the hole in the top to hang them. It gave me a little extra room to do a narrow label across the top without covering up any of the melt. Plus you could get them out of the bag a bit easier without smearing them all up.

Sorry for all the pics, but pics are better than words lol. This is how I do mine. I buy 4x6 heat shrink bags from WS: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com

I also bought an impulse sealer with a trim and seal element:

http://www.packcoinc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=43

impulsesealer.jpg

I put 2 melts in a bag:

tarts.jpg

Put the bag in sideways:

insealer.jpg

Put the bag back in:

sealer2.jpg

I end up with this here:

tarts1.jpg

And then I hit it with a heat gun:

heatsealed.jpg

I like the way it turns out. I use 2 melts, but you can get smaller bags and just put one in if that suits you better. The impulse sealer was about $275 shipped, but WELL worth it IMO :-)

Wow! Thanks for going the extra mile to post such a detailed response with a step-by-step example. That is great! I wondered how they get the plastic tight on those. The only thing is, I don't think I have that kind of spending money for that big of a machine, but I do know they have small kinds like that. Down the road, I will definitely look into that.

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have a website? I bet you do nice work. :)

Wow! Thanks for going the extra mile to post such a detailed response with a step-by-step example. That is great! I wondered how they get the plastic tight on those. The only thing is, I don't think I have that kind of spending money for that big of a machine, but I do know they have small kinds like that. Down the road, I will definitely look into that.

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have a website? I bet you do nice work. :)

I'm working on a site. It is under construction right now, but the URL is www.galaxyscents.com

I will be mainly working on palm wax melts. With this machine, I can easily produce about 600-700 melts per day, so wholesaling is what I want to do :-)

Yep, definitely the 3x3 ones, anything smaller will be too small. I also used the regular fluted molds and they fit very tightly in there, you have to take into account the thickness of the tart not just width. I actually would have loved to try the 4x4 since the 3x3 didn't allow me to put a tart it without it rubbing against all sides of the opening and leaving wax residue....drove me nuts! :) I no longer make the fluted tarts but definitely the 3x3 ones are the ones you need, nothing smaller! :)

Melany

I use the 3x4 bags from WSP and package them 2 to a bag. Most people use 2 at a time in the tart warmers I sell. I always use 2 except for the plug-ins in bathrooms and they will only hold 1. hth

Since my tarts are 2 1/4 inches wide it would not seem to be possible to get two in the 4 inch size. Are you tarts smaller? They must be. Thanks for the tip that packaging two may be the thing to do. I guess it would depend on the type of warmer. Some of the tealight warmers can't hold to tarts. But there are lot of them out now that have the over sized dish where you would want to at least use two. Thanks. :)

I'm working on a site. It is under construction right now, but the URL is www.galaxyscents.com

I will be mainly working on palm wax melts. With this machine, I can easily produce about 600-700 melts per day, so wholesaling is what I want to do :-)

I look forward to checking out your website when it is ready to go! Thanks for the link. Mine is www.newmanlakecandles.com. It is not completed yet, but it is getting there. I am constantly making changes and additions. I am pretty independent for the most part and do my own critique. I learn as I go. I got a few pictures on there quickly. Those will be better down the road. Had to wing it for now. I had to get something on there before my website aged too much. :o I need to get them clearer for the downsized photos, including the one on the opening page -- tag is blurry. My tags are little different now (took off the ~~~ and added Handmade Soy candle before the scent name and then my website address at the bottom - both in a pretty font). Looks better now. So, I really have to take different pics. More work to do. ugh

I wish you success in your business venture. :)

Holly my tarts are 2&1/4" wide also. Just put them in 1 at a time, on top of each other, it is a tight squeeze but that is the only size I use when I package 1 or 2 tarts. Mine are 2 ML

I really like your website!

Holly my tarts are 2&1/4" wide also. Just put them in 1 at a time, on top of each other, it is a tight squeeze but that is the only size I use when I package 1 or 2 tarts. Mine are 2 ML

I really like your website!

Thanks for the tip and thanks for the compliment regarding my website. :)