Optiphen vs. Optiphen Plus?

MsDammit

The soap section probably wasn't the best place to put a thread about preservatives, but I'll mention what I can remember off the top of my head. Optiphen isn't truly a broad spectrum preservative. It'll cover certain types of nasties, but not all of them. It usually needs to be used in conjunction with something else. It does NOT have pH restrictions. Optiphen Plus, I believe, is more broad spectrum, but has pH limitations.

If I'm wrong on any of this information, I apologize. I currently don't use either in any of my formulations, and this is based on information I have gleaned over the last year or so in passing.

It's mainly pH differences.

Optiphen Plus has sorbic acid and performs better at a lower pH (below 6.0) but depending on the formulation, MAY still do well at a higher pH. Optiphen has no such restrictions, although there's concern about it not covering mold (Optiphen Plus does), just bacteria and yeast.

It's listed as the preservative in a recipe that I want to try for cream soap (hence posting it in the soap section-oops my bad). I guess I'll go with what the recipe says (optiphen), I was placing an order with WSP & they only had the optiphen plus so I was hoping I could get everything at one place & save on shipping.