Critique me, please

I'd love to have some expert advice on my first candle attempt!

After I poured the candle, I let it cure for a few days, and did a 4 hour test burn. I got a small flame and small melt pool. My second burn resulted in tunneling. Bah. I used 1# GW415, 1/2 ounce Aloe & Clover fragrance oil (apparently not enough since I got almost no throw, although it nearly gagged me when I was mixing it!) and a c75 cotton core wick (from Peak, if that matters). I poured at about 150 degrees. When cool, the top flaked and curled. I melted it with my trusty Conair and poured a little leftover wax on top. The end result was shiny although a little wavy. I had some oil separation after I topped off the candle, but I don't think I stirred the remelted wax, just melted and poured. That could be the reason why.

I'm assuming my first problem is the wick, but I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!!! I'm open to anything that will make my candles really professional looking. I do, however, want to stay with 100% soy.

At the Peak site, the wick page said you may need to "wick up" with vegetable waxes. Does that mean go with a larger wick?

Thank you!

Debbie

How much wax did you use in the container and did you weigh the FO? 1/2 of different FO's can vary considerably by weight. The throw problem could mean that you need a larger wick size or a different type of wick or just that it needs longer curing. JMO and that also depends on the individual FO but most of the time I find soy needs a bit longer cure time. I test after a few days, if not pleased I test again after a week, if still not pleased I test again after 2 weeks. If it takes longer than 2 weeks I move on to another FO. Adding more FO doesn't always mean you will get a stronger throw. I have actually had some FO's that when used in a lower % gave me a BETTER throw. Once you post the diameter of your container I am sure you will get several wick type and size suggestions. Good luck!

Wick up does mean a larger wick. I agree with Southern Gal, you should probably try two wicks in that one. It's hard to judge throw accurately with being underwicked, but most people use at least 1oz per pound as a starting point (I do anyway).

I don't think you will successfully single wick this jar. If' this jar is the apothocary jar I think it is, I'd start with 2 HTP 73's, or 2CD 8's, ECO 8's, or any other 2 wicks comparable in size to these. Then adjust yor wicks size accordingly.

Yes soy does need a bit of a cure time -some FOs more than others. But you should be able to get some kind of a throw if you cure for a few days. There are so many good FOs out there that will throw great in a matter of days that IMO, I won't use an FO that would need a 2 week cure time. But this is me. However, some FOs just will not throw in soy no matter what you do or just need a different wick all together to get a throw. Even if one wick will give you a great burn with a great melt pool but no throw, sometimes a change in wick type makes a difference. But not always.

Oops - the jar is indeed 16 oz apothecary, 3-7/8" wide. I meant to say that. :embarasse I used 16 ounces of wax in the candle.

This is really stupid newbie stuff, but if I double wick, are they going side by side or some distance apart? The opening of the jar doesn't seem wide enough for two wicks, to me anyway.

Can I not single wick it because of the way soy burns?

I used 1/2 fluid ounce. Not 1/2 ounce by weight. I take it I should be using ounce weight instead of ounce fluid when measuring?

Thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate it!

You definately will not be able to single wick. Trace the bottom of the jar; divide it into 1/4 and then you can use this diagram to help center the wicks side by side equal distance apart. I hope that made sense.

If you don't have a scale, invest in one and always weigh. It helps maintain consistency.

Thanks, Meridith. I'll try that and double wick. I do have a scale and measure & write it all down (then I clean house and toss the scrap of paper I wrote it on :rolleyes2).

Thanks, berrycreek. I would never have though to weigh and not measure!

I'm off to try again! :yay: