Mustard oil

doris

I've sauteed greens in it, but never soaped it. I'm afraid it would be an irritant.

Thats what I was thinking.

My mother used to laugh at a tory about when she was young and my father caught a chest cold. and she made a mustard plater for him, useing, of course, mustard oil. She read the directions and thought "a little oilis good, but he has a bad cold so alot of oil will be better". he wound up in the hospital with second degree burns...

So many of my favorite children's books are 100 or so years old, and there are lots of references to mustard plasters, just like your mother's experience. I guess it's the ancestor of Vicks Vapo-Rub - which can make a bit of a burn of its own, come to think of it.

I'd be leery of using mustard in soap, too. Were you wanting it as a colorant? No, wait, you said oil, so I guess not.

I had seen it listed for sale somewhere, and was just curious. I did find a lye calculator that listed it, but couldn't find anything else on it. Thanks for the replies. I guess I won't be making any mustard soap.