Looking to get started

I am looking into getting started on candle making....for fun on my own as a hobby, and to sell to make a little side money, as well. I hope maybe some of you can help me!

I am thinking I want to go the soy candle route. Are soy candles more difficult than parrafin candles?

In my reading, I am seeing that sometimes certain combinations of wax, scents, dyes, and wicks don't work. Is there a list somewhere of combinations that are known to work that I can start off with?

I have seen that there are different wax formulas for votives and pillars, but I have not seen anything explaining why. Can anyone direct me to somewhere that explains that? (or explain it themselves? )

Am I correct in what I am reading that presto pots are the preffered melt method?

What other info can you give me that will help me start out?

Thanks in advance for any and all help I can get! :D

Hey Corry,

I'd check out the basic instructions on this site to start with. You might want to get a kit from a supplier in your area. Candlemaking involves lots of testing, sometimes for years, before you are ready to sell. Everyone seems to use something different. What works for me may not work for you, so my advise is to buy a kit and test, test, test. Another source for possible wax/wick combos that MAY work is on the bitter creek candle supply site. They have a spreadsheet that people have listed what wick, wax and container they use. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Jodie

None of the starter kits are looking like what I really want. I think I'd rather get what I need on my own.

So...if I'm looking at doing soy candles...please tell me if I'm missing anything in this list:

Soy wax, start with, let's say...10 lbs

wicks (what kind?)

containers and/or molds (is one easier than the other to start with?)

Presto pot

Fragrance oil (I see suggestions to find a sample pack)

Dye chips or liquid (sample pack of this as well?)

Thermometer for high temps

Something to hold wicks

notebook for note taking

Also, I keep seeing things mentioned about a heat gun, but I haven't yet seen what it's used for exactly. Can anyone tell me?

None of the starter kits are looking like what I really want. I think I'd rather get what I need on my own.

So...if I'm looking at doing soy candles...please tell me if I'm missing anything in this list:

Soy wax, start with, let's say...10 lbs

wicks (what kind?) You can't really know what wicks you'll need till you decide on what jars you are gonna use

containers and/or molds (is one easier than the other to start with?) A lot of people start out with jelly jars, but it depends on what kind of look you are going for. Don't buy jars just to test, settle on the exact jar you want to use.

Presto pot

Fragrance oil (I see suggestions to find a sample pack) Since you want to use soy, samples are the best way to go at first, as soy is VERY picky and many FO's just don't throw when burning.

Dye chips or liquid (sample pack of this as well?) I personally like liquid dye, it's much easier to use and control. Candle Science has very good concentrated liquid dyes.

Thermometer for high temps Yep......good idea.

Something to hold wicks If you are talking about securing the wick tabs to the bottom of your container, a glue gun with hi-temp glue is what I use and I've never had a problem with them floating or coming loose. A lot of others use wick stickums.......Bitter Creek has about the best.

notebook for note taking Absolutely necessary!!

Also, I keep seeing things mentioned about a heat gun, but I haven't yet seen what it's used for exactly. Can anyone tell me?

Soy will sometimes have lumpy, bumpy tops (nature of the wax) and many use their heat gun to zap it and smooth it out after it's set up.

As for the difference in soy waxes. Container wax is very soft and cannot be used for a stand alone candle like a votive/pillar wax.

Thank you! Great info! I will start looking for containers!

I do want to do stand alones, too, but I'm sure it's best to start with one or the other, and practice a bit, first!

Heat guns....are there different types and brands? If so, what is a good one?

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction. Check out the kit at Just By Nature http://justbynature.com/candle_making_kits.html That's what I started with. You get about everything you need to start. I don't know if I would get a presto pot until you decide whether you enjoy candlemaking. Double boiler method works good to start. You may be able to use an old crock pot (check the temp that it goes up to though) to melt larger amounts. I also agree with getting samples of FO's to start (they do come in the kit and all that I ordered worked great!) Liquid dyes are easier to mix in, be careful about frosting though. I like the liquid from Just by nature best of all I have tried, but I am also working with some dye blocks. As far as a heat gun goes, you can use a blow dryer at first til you are sure. Again, good luck!

OH, if it only were that easy! There is no magic formula - that's why there are so many members and posts on this forum. We've all gotten into candle making for our own reasons ... and are still striving to produce the best candle we can. Guess what I'm trying to say is most of the members have attempted the basics already and are on this forum to just work out the kinks.

My first bit of advice is - DO NOT EXPECT TO MAKE ANY "POCKET" MONEY.

The cost of all your equipment (melter, pour pots, stirers, scales, thermometer) and supplies (lots of jars, wick bars and lids for containers, molds and sealer for pillars, wax, wick sample packs, dyes, additives if you need them, and fragrance oil samples) will add up to quite a tidy sum...I'm talking hundreds of dollars. And then getting a variety of fragrance oils just adds to the bill. Then add shipping and handling charges to get all this to you - see how quickly it adds up. This can be (IS) quite an expensive hobby!

I think that it may be best to develope a relationship with a supplier in your area. Many have instructions on their sites and have a staff that can give you specific guidance, when needed. Finding a supplier within driving distance will help with the shipping bills especially with a large first order! One note of caution - if you find someone in your state expect to pay sales tax on your purchase (unless you have a state issued tax number.) Some suppliers charge - some don't.

The link to find someone close to you is www.suppliersbystate.com . Let them mentor you using their products. If you ask 10 people here what wax to use you will get 10 different answers...and it will just more confusing. That's why the kit was mentioned. The kit has everything matched to work as a unit. And gives you an opportunity to try on a small scale before you invest the big bucks.

Whatever way you want to go - I'm sure we all wish you well!

I'm already aware of most of the costs, other than the heat gun question I asked above.

The problem with the kits is, it contains items I don't need, and I can't justify paying that much when I can just get the inividual items I need for less. Why do I need a pour pot if I'm going to use a presto pot?

I haven't seen a kit yet with jars I like, so that doesn't make much sense, either.

And I don't expect to make money right away, but I'm not going to believe that I will never make any money at it.

I'm already aware of most of the costs, other than the heat gun question I asked above.

The problem with the kits is, it contains items I don't need, and I can't justify paying that much when I can just get the inividual items I need for less. Why do I need a pour pot if I'm going to use a presto pot?

I haven't seen a kit yet with jars I like, so that doesn't make much sense, either.

And I don't expect to make money right away, but I'm not going to believe that I will never make any money at it.

That is exactly why you need a kit because you don't have a clue to what you really need. If you can't find a kit with the jars you like start with a votive kit or a pillar kit.

Welcome, Corry. My best advice to you is learn to use the search tool here at CT and read, read, read! Many suppliers have lots of advice and instructions available to customers on their sites, as do many manufacturers. Avail yourself of all the information you can find. Haunting the supplier's sites will help familiarize you with prices and products available. Good luck!)

Well, thanks to those that are basically calling me stupid rather than answering my perfectly polite and legit questions.

I have been reading a ton, here on this site and elsewhere. I'm perfectly aware of how to use the search function. It was the first thing I did. Mostly I was only finding references to items and procedures, and not the answers I was looking for. Therefor, I started a thread where I could find the direct answers I needed.

I have read more than once that some people mix in the presto, and some prefer to pour it into another pot...nowhere have I seen anything that said mixing in the presto is bad. If it is, how about giving me a reason, rather than telling me I just don't know what I need, and should get a kit.

I have already stated that I do not wish to get a kit. I started a list of things that I need, and asked if I am missing anything. I got some helpful replies, of which I am very appreciative. Telling me to just get a kit that I have already said I do not want to do is not helpful.

I have read enough to know that it is not an exact science, and it's going to take a good amount of experimentation.

I don't want to get a kit that is going to give me things I don't want, and that is only going to allow me to make exactly the same things as everyone else who gets the kit. Half the reason I'm interested in getting into this is to make something unique...and I know full well that it's going to involve a lot of trial and error.

So if you're going to post just to tell me I don't know what I'm doing (rather than answering my perfectly legit questions so I do know what I'm doing), then you aren't being helpful.

Once again, thanks to those who HAVE answered my questions with thoughtful, helpful replies.

Why do I need a pour pot if I'm going to use a presto pot?

I use my presto pot to melt the wax. The melted wax goes into the pour pot where I add my dye and fragrance. That way one batch can be cooling while I'm preparing another aroma with a different color in a different pourer!

Guest LightofDawn

Heat guns....are there different types and brands? If so, what is a good one?

Corry,

I use a Wagner HT400. I like it because it is small and does not take up alot of room and it is fairly inexpensive. (under $10 on ebay) But this is just a personnal preference for me.

I also just started making candles a few months ago, I had no clue the amount of time, money and frustration that can come with it. However, it can be fun and rewarding. Enjoy your new hobby.

Dawn

Corry,

I use a Wagner HT400. I like it because it is small and does not take up alot of room and it is fairly inexpensive. (under $10 on ebay) But this is just a personnal preference for me.

I also just started making candles a few months ago, I had no clue the amount of time, money and frustration that can come with it. However, it can be fun and rewarding. Enjoy your new hobby.

Dawn

Thank you! That sounds about perfect...I'll search one up and make sure it looks like what would work for me!

If you don't want to buy a kit, don't want to buy 10lb. of every wax ,and want just soy, you might check out soycandle.com. They sell 1lb. bags. I just received several bags for testing blends today. I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of wax I didn't like or wouldn't use. hth

Good luck.

If you don't want to buy a kit, don't want to buy 10lb. of every wax ,and want just soy, you might check out soycandle.com. They sell 1lb. bags. I just received several bags for testing blends today. I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of wax I didn't like or wouldn't use. hth

Good luck.

Ooh, that sounds great! Thank you!

Well, thanks to those that are basically calling me stupid rather than answering my perfectly polite and legit questions.

I have been reading a ton, here on this site and elsewhere. I'm perfectly aware of how to use the search function. It was the first thing I did. Mostly I was only finding references to items and procedures, and not the answers I was looking for. Therefor, I started a thread where I could find the direct answers I needed.

I have read more than once that some people mix in the presto, and some prefer to pour it into another pot...nowhere have I seen anything that said mixing in the presto is bad. If it is, how about giving me a reason, rather than telling me I just don't know what I need, and should get a kit.

I have already stated that I do not wish to get a kit. I started a list of things that I need, and asked if I am missing anything. I got some helpful replies, of which I am very appreciative. Telling me to just get a kit that I have already said I do not want to do is not helpful.

I have read enough to know that it is not an exact science, and it's going to take a good amount of experimentation.

I don't want to get a kit that is going to give me things I don't want, and that is only going to allow me to make exactly the same things as everyone else who gets the kit. Half the reason I'm interested in getting into this is to make something unique...and I know full well that it's going to involve a lot of trial and error.

So if you're going to post just to tell me I don't know what I'm doing (rather than answering my perfectly legit questions so I do know what I'm doing), then you aren't being helpful.

Once again, thanks to those who HAVE answered my questions with thoughtful, helpful replies.

Cory, no one here is calling you stupid (i dont believe so anyways):confused:. I started here about a year & a half ago & well, I asked all those same questions & got alot of the same answers you got. I got offended & said "I'm not stupid", I just want to learn". After laying in my bed & crying (saying I cant do this, so others think) My husband reassured me they were just trying to help & maybe some didnt know the right thing to say therefor hurting my feelings. After a year & a half of testing & reading & reading & reading & taking notes & oh my god about $1000.00 later I see NOW what they were saying. I thought too I could pop out some candles & make a little money. Boy, was I wrong. I started out trying to do everything..MASTER EVERYTHING..which by the way (cant be done in a year & a half..:grin2:)

So, I decided to pick one wax (Palm wax) I tried wicking it & after many failed attemptes I decided to try everlasting candles or as I call them "forever candles". I spent awhile getting those right & tried selling them. I made about enough money to buy more supplies..so please dont think you can make a huge profit off it. Especially right away. Take it from someone that was in your shoes.

People here are really trying to help. Some just maybe dont know how to express themselves right. As far as the search thing goes..they just didnt realize you knew about it..dont take it personal..I did too by the way..(a year ago), but i use that thing just about everyday now..lol It is big help. Some people just dont like repeating themselves over & over..trust me there too...people were asking me about my forevers...asking me how I did them. I mean over & over...I didnt mind telling them, but i was getting tired of repeating myself...so there the search button comes in handy..you can search palm forever pillars & alot of my posts will show up along with others.

Hope this helps cory...& dont be afraid to ask questions here..sometimes you get what you want & other times, well...you know....:P

Have fun with this... I know I do now!!!!!!! :yay:

:lipsrseal:lipsrseal:lipsrseal:lipsrseal:lipsrseal