Stained Candles? Techniques?

Hi! I just noticed a class being offered at candles and supplies on techniques to make stained candles?

http://shop.candlesandsupplies.com/candles/product.asp?catalog_name=Candles&category_name=***+CLASSES/WORKSHOPS+***&product_id=CLASS-PRIM&path=***+CLASSES/WORKSHOPS+***

any idea on how the stained candle is made? I love the color also, any ideas on how to get that color?

and I saw a pillar candle this weekend that I thought was absolutely beautiful - it looked like a regular smooth paraffin on the bottom with a rustic/mottled top? is that possible to combine both waxes to safely make a pillar?

As always - thank you for your replies - very much appreciated by this little drip of wax!!!:yay:

it looked like a regular smooth paraffin on the bottom with a rustic/mottled top? is that possible to combine both waxes to safely make a pillar?

You don't need to different waxes. Any plain paraffin will do. Add stearic to the wax that you want mottled and add vybar to the smooth part.

A couple of thoughts on the stained technique ...

Could scratch the surface of the candle and apply some rub and buff, candle paint to it.

Maybe it's overdipped using the water technique and constantly swirling the candle in floating dye (seems that would take forever) and another thought is that it's paint sponged on.

I've done it a multiple of ways.

But that seems as though is may be brushed on wax with cinnamon. You just make a goopy wax with loads of cinnamon and brush it on over the outside of your main pillar.

I would always go lighter on the top since that is what goes into the melt pool. Too much cinnamon and you have a huge firey wick.

you can carve a design or scratch the candle with different things, i tried a grill brush, then rubbed with brown cake shoe polish back in january. rubbing with liquid dye works well too, but will stink for a few days. then the scent comes back. cinnamon or spices work, but they don't always stick as well. you can dip a candle in hot wax, then quickly roll in ground spices, then overdip again for a nice rustic primitive look too. i just got in my order of taper candles this week for this look.

i wiped off the escess shoe polishon this one, but you can get a grungier look bu leaving more polish on. i know there is a walnut brown ink powder that i have heard of for prim crafts, i wonder if that might work too.

IMG_1449.jpg

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

I'm didn't realize about adding the two different additives to make the different textures -

I have some walnut dye powder/stain(?) - not sure if that might do the trick also - I thought about the scratching - thanks for the tip on the grill brush, that should work great - and had also wondered about using candle medium paint and then rubbing to get into the groove marks -

your candle shade is very nice!!! - that looks like an autumn orange dye chip color?

I'm so anxious to get to it!!! Thanks again so very much!!!