suggestions for reed diffuser scents needed...

erinmfritz

I am just starting to test reed diffusers and need some ideas on which scents have been used successfully with them. And which are the best sellers in you area. My main suppliers are MC, ICS, & BCN. I have the base from ICS. Thanks for your help.

from mc i would use

clothesline fresh

sweet orange & chili pepper

berry creme brulee

chestnuts & br sugar

mistletoe

cozy home

that is all i can think of off the top of my head, but i know there is alot more that would work great.

ics

claire burke xmas memory

sugared spruce

bcn

china rain

jade

We use a lot of oils from MC, gain(we market it as clothesline fresh) is by far our best seller. It is incredibly strong. Other good ones:

High cotton

Cinnamon Sticks

Lilac (I don't like it,but our customers do)

Lavender Vanilla

Amber Romance

Grandmas country kitchen

Cozy Home

With our reed diffuser we sell a lot of strong florals that unfortunely make us gag. To each his own:rolleyes2

I have read that heavy oils don't work, how do you know if an oil is heavy? Is it the color?

"Heavy" refers to the viscosity of the oil. If it is thick you will need to make it thinner in order to travel up the reeds. And the more base you add the less FO ... and the weaker the throw ... that's why they don't work or "throw" well.

When I get a new FO I can tell by how full the container is. If a 1 lb bottle is filled close to the top I consider it light. If it's an inch from the top it's heavy. Once you get familiar with how the oil pours from the bottle you'll be able to tell.

BTW, Vanillas for me have been problematic.

HTH

Hi Erin, I'd be interested in knowing how your ICS reed diffuser base works, and which fo's are working for you. I've been wondering what you need to make them. My daughter gave me a reed diffuser for Mother's Day and I can't get over how well they work. Please give an update. Thanks.Janet

I really like the ICS base. I have their base, the round jar (holds about 6-7 oz, I didn't fill it all the way), and their reeds. So far, I am testing BCN Heavenly honeydew (awesome) , pink sugar which I added a drop of pink/red candle dye (so far so good), ICS lilac (so far so good), MC High cotton (very strong throw, don't personally like this scent but many people do, go figure). I made the honeydew friday, and it is going strong, the rest I made last night.

For those who do make these, how do you know if the reeds clog? My thinking is if the ends feel dry when flipping them but I'm not sure. Also, what is the best way to test these and how long does it take to make sure you have a winning scent? I just used tall baby food jars with about 2-3 oz of liquid and reeds that I cut in half (opened up the ends again by squeezing the opposite way), is that good?

As far as the "heavy" oils, how do you tell if they are already open (not new?)

Anyone tried the wood roses with the diffusers? I ran across it on Natures garden site so I figured I'd give it a try. They really do suck up the oil into the stems. I put some with the honeydew and the lilac and noticed a small jump in scent throw. Plus it adds a little to the appearance.

There is no easy way to describe viscosity - other than it is a little thicker and doesn't "flow" as easily. This is one of those things where it would be easier to show you than tell you.

Can anyone else help describing viscosity?:confused:

Thanks for trying to explain the odvious to me, I sometimes don't get it! LOL I know when you get the oils, the light oils are fuller than the heavy oils. I didn't know if the darker color of some oils show that they are heavier or not.

Update on the roses, The purple tipped white roses I put into the lilac oil are turning green from the stem. The yellow that I put into the honeydew are doing great( no green). So, I don't think the white roses are good candidates for this application. But they are performing very well!!!