Weighing Wax Question

Hi all :)

Okay, I think I've thouroughly confused myself! I've been weighing my wax by the ounces on my pyrex. I've been tarts (so 4 oz makes 4-1oz tarts). So I knew that 4oz of wax=5 fl oz and so I'd measure to the 5. Now, I've read that you should weigh your wax after adding it to your pour pot to be accurate. When I weighed the melted wax (and yes, I tared the scale prior to weighing the wax in the pour pot), it was at 5...but now I'm wondering if maybe I have to much wax?? My scale weighs in oz (not fl oz.)...shouldn't I be weighing out 4 ozs of wax. Stupid math. Who knew candlemaking would make me use my math so much! Help? Thoughts?

Thank you from a seriously math challenged candlemaker :)

Somewhere along the way something is getting measured inaccurately. 5 fluid ounces of wax does weigh about 4 ounces, not 5. Maybe your scale is off or maybe you're overshooting a bit in the Pyrex. (By the way, the Pyrex and the pour pot are the same thing, right?)

Basically though I don't understand your method. If you want 4 ounces of wax for your molds why don't you just weigh out 4 ounces of solid wax and melt it?

See, now I've confused everyone :D

I add 16 oz of solid wax to my presto (I like to do 4 different scents (4oz a scent) at a time for my tarts)...melt it, then tare the scale with the pyrex (which is my pour pot), and add my wax to the pyrex on the scale until I get 4 oz on the scale. Right??

How come all the candle books don't EVER mention all the math, LOL? Just melt, color, fo, and pour....voila..a beautiful candle. :rolleyes2 HAH! Good thing I have you guys for the REAL scoop on candlemaking!!!

I add 16 oz of solid wax to my presto (I like to do 4 different scents (4oz a scent) at a time for my tarts)...melt it, then tare the scale with the pyrex (which is my pour pot), and add my wax to the pyrex on the scale until I get 4 oz on the scale. Right??
Yup!

If you can find a secure way to put the Presto up on something a little higher than the scale and pour pot, that would probably be handy.

Frankly I think a double boiler is probably easier for just a pound of wax. If I were producing a pound of tarts in 4 scents like that, I'd probably have one of the big metal pour pots and 4 of the small ones. I'd get color and FO ready in the small pots while the wax is melting in the big one, then measure, mix and pour each scent in turn.