Glass Glow & Wicking

I know this is somewhere in the threads, but after reading thru everything that came up in a search, couldn't find it. I thought someone said the CD wicks work well with Glass Glow????????? I bought the 2nd Presto Pot so I could keep my Palm wax in it...now I want to test, but couldn't remember where I saw info about the CD wicks and this wax...hmmmm...maybe it wasn't this forum? :laugh2: I'm losing my mind, at least I still laugh!

Well, if it was...please let me know if these wicks work in this wax. Also where do you find better instructions than IGI gives you and wick suggestions (other than CS.)

Glass Glow is palm wax, so, with minor adjustments, any wick that works well in palm wax should work for Glass Glow palm wax. What size/shape containers are you wanting to wick?

I have such good success with CDN wicks in both soy and palm waxes, that would be my recommendation to you. People have also reported good success with CDs and LXs, but I have not used those.

If you check HERE you can click on the wick recommendation links for both CDs and CDNs or any of the other wicks listed to see the general recommendations for different applications, such as containers, votives, tea lights, pillars, etc.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the link Stella, I think I'm going to try a CD 20 first. Look like it might work according to the chart on that link. The container is just a tad over 3" square. I just won't make too many....even though I'm itching to make a bunch of colors in this wax!!

I wish the container palm was as easy to wick as the pillar palm!! I am STILL trying to wick the container. I am getting close but still ending up with a little shell of wax on the glass. I use LX wicks for my pillars and they are great but I can't wick a container with it. I have been using the CSN wicks from CS for container palm. Maybe I just need to go down to a smaller container for the palm. I have been working with 3 to 3 1/4 inch diameters. I really want to single wick these but have seen others have great success double wicking them.

I have seen Stella talk so much about the CDN wicks that I ordered a sampler pack to play with.

I use CSN wicks from CS and for me and my container they work great! However, I could not get them to work for me using only one wick, I have to double wick in order to get a clean burn.

I use CSN wicks from CS and I love them! (but I am curious on Stella's advice on the CDN's, I am tempted to order a sample pack LOL)I use 2 wicks on anything that is 3 inches and over!!! now my 8 oz square mason jars I only single wick them and depending on the density of my FO's I go up a wick! I start out at CSN9 and go up.

I am curious on Stella's advice on the CDN's

suzanne & all - Just wanna clarify - that is not my "advice," I am basing my comments about the CDN wicks on our experience. We do not use any other type of wicks. We do not test all kinds of other wicks. Because we, like many of y'all, are pretty new to all this, we decided to use one brand of wicks so that we could learn what works with the materials we use. We made our choice carefully, and we have been satisfied thus far. Other wicks might work even better! Candle Science must have had a reason to market and recommend wicks for use with the products they sell, so if they are working well for you, I don't see any reason to change for the sake of changing - just one more thing to drive ya nuts!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My container is a little over 3" square and I couldn't get a CDN to work well in it with soy wax, so I think it would be even worse with Palm...but I don't know for sure because this is my first attempt at Palm wax. The CDN's work great in smaller diam containers I have...but these 3" round and square are tough to wick. The cotton wicks are working best in soy, but I doubt they will work in palm. I will probably try them at some point, but I started my testing with CD's in the palm and I'll see how it goes.

You tried a 14 in there, KK? Or maybe a 16? Works real well for both soy & palm for me...

Yes, tried them all, seemed to burn one side more than the other because of the curl in the wick...even tried trimming wick during the burn to see if that would help. It's just the larger diam containers with a straight wall that it didn't work in. Tried compensating for the wick curl...and then it curled the same way I compensated so it was even worse. It's probably something I'm doing. I did get 2 CDN's to work in the container (can't remember now what size I used, don't really want to have to use 2.) They work great in my 2" container, 1" container and my shot glasses, so I'm using them there. The cottons are working pretty good and I'll be burning one with a CD in it tomorrow, so I'll see how that goes. I may end up trying the CDN in the palm if the CD's don't work in it.

Thanks for the link Stella, I think I'm going to try a CD 20 first. Look like it might work according to the chart on that link. The container is just a tad over 3" square. I just won't make too many....even though I'm itching to make a bunch of colors in this wax!!

kandlekrazy I love making a lot of colors too and fragrances!

Down here in the south customers love variety!!!!!!! that is why i have over 200 fragrances in my shoppe!:laugh2:

I only have about 50 fo's (but I only really like about 20 of them) and my DH is ready to kick me out...not to mention the 40,000 wicks (not quite) and the 300+ jars...oh and the 50# wax containers...all in my dining room and kitchen! I need a room just for candle making...can't wait to move!

KK if you do move get a house with a basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love mine! My work area already had linoleum down on the floor and I even have a firepalce in there too!!!!!:grin2: but I don't use it! it has the gas thingy hooked up but I am terrified of gas heat. That is how we heat our upstairs of our house during the winter!

KK if you do move get a house with a basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love mine! My work area already had linoleum down on the floor and I even have a firepalce in there too!!!!!:grin2: but I don't use it! it has the gas thingy hooked up but I am terrified of gas heat. That is how we heat our upstairs of our house during the winter!

That would require moving out of CA :rolleyes2 and I really, really don't want to do that...basements are a rare thing here. I do remember how nice it was to have 1800 sq ft of basement in the house I grew up in (Illinois!)