Confused about this wax!

ok...Im really confused about these Applesmith Candles...they are really nice looking but it says they are a soy wax blend which gives it a mottled appearance...has anyone looked at them? They look like Palm Wax...and in order to get the mottling it would have to be mostly Palm...right? In which case they should be called a Palm wax blend! So I guess Im wondering what they are using to make it that way? :confused:

BTW where is a good place to get those embeds if you dont feel like making your own! And I wonder if the imbeds are made of the same wax or straight soy.

bw-ab_lg.jpg

Since I was looking for these jars, I did purchase a few to take a look at them :embarasse ....they look terrific and are very nice candles with great throw!

I does look somewhat like a palm wax possibly mixed with some soy, but then, even if you add "some" soy they can still say "soy". If you take a straight paraffin wax and add castor oil (??) can't remember off the top of my head,you can get the mottled look. I've done that before but they didn't turn out like these. Definitely a plam look here.

Anyone know where to get the 16 oz. bail wire jars they use? Candlemakers Store has the 9 oz. which I ordered. Oops....maybe this should be in "general" thread?

Oh, and the embeds can be purchased from ebay sellers. That's where I get ALL of mine! I have tons and tons of embeds!!

Thanks!

I've never seen them before, but it definitely looks like a palm blend to me. I know Mia bella advertises their candles as soy too, but clearly they have something else in them too:rolleyes2 .

I saw an advertisement for Mia Bella that said they are "gourmet" candles. It said nothing about soy. It certainly looks like palm wax.

Do a search & you'll find lots of places that have embeds!

i bet its a palm and soy wax blend. Now i am off to experiment with some soy and palm i never even thought about blending the 2. Just one other thing that will drive me crazy and have sleepless night over.:(

Oh that's palm alright. And it has very little soy in it, because it doesn't take very much to alter (stop) the crystalization of palm.

Marketing, marketing, marketing. Albeit deceitful. Make a palm candle (cuz it looks really cool and people will snatch it up) add a little bit of soy to it (cuz soy is all the rage and people will snatch it up) and call it a soy blend candle. Sell tons, make $$$. The consumer is none the wiser and generally doesn't care.

I agree that it is a palm wax. I add 10% soy to mine without affecting the crystalization. I think I read somewhere that others mananged to go as high as 20% soy in their palm wax before it started affecting the crystalization.

My hats off to that company if they can single wick that jar using palm wax and getting a clean burn all the way down. I sure can't do it lol

I agree with you Jami...I was just thinking the same thing...I have actually put up to 30% soy and was still able to keep the crystallization...not as intense but it was still there. But it was still difficult to get a 3" inch tumbler to burn with one wick...I just put 10% GL 70/30 into Glass Glow but I have not burned it yet...so will see what happens. :rolleyes2

But it was still difficult to get a 3" inch tumbler to burn with one wick...

I have had no problems whatsoever getting our palm/soy blend 3" pillars and containers to burn with one wick! I read frequently that folks are double-wicking smaller containers (I consider 3" to be on the small side) and don't understand why a single wick is a problem...

We use CDN wicks in all our soy & palm candles (and blends thereof) and never have a problem getting candles to burn! Sometimes getting the wicking just perfect with certain FOs can be a chore, but the 3" size in a straight-sided tumbler should work with CDN 12-16 - probably a 14.

I friend of mine bought a 'soy' candle that looked just like this and I was baffled as well (last year) and then realized they must of blended the two (palm & soy). But they also made sure to list it as an all natural soy blend which of course the 'natural' part is more than likely palm. I haven't dinkered around with that either but may...it's purty!

Hi Isbennis,

I will try to investigate this further for you as the "AppleSmith candles are made in the same community that I live in. I know Mrs. Smith and will find out more about this kind of candle if they are willing to spill the beans. I am so surprised to see them make this kind of candle as they once told me that they didn't have time nor did they want to experiment with other waxes....but I will check it out.....BTW....where do you live? I am trying to figure out how far out they reach?

Mike