Frosting / icing for cupcakes?

Hi,

the last time I made an iced cupcake the white icing was very thin and you could see the colour of the cake underneath.

So I also tried letting it cool and dipping the top of the cupcake into it, was better but still not brill.

I don't want to use whipped icing, more of a smooth look.

I'm using just uncoloured white paraffin, as I've no white colouring.

Any advice? what do others do

thanks

aah, only got normal paraffin, got soy could try that, but its not quite white is it, and no white colouring, could give it a go though, other thing is I thought of, just dye it pink and have pink icing lmao

But that would be changing my 'recipe' so to speak, and I've tested 3 of these so far and am happy with them, so was going to give some to my kids teachers as end of year pressies. Don't really want to have to start changing and testing now, unless I've got to

yep I use an electric mixer, but its the getting it onto things, I used a fork but couldn't get a finish I liked.

I've seen some jars on ebay where someone almost pours whipped wax into it, its so smooth looking, reminds me of the texture of molten marshmallows.

A little practice is in order me thinks ;)

I've seen some jars on ebay where someone almost pours whipped wax into it, its so smooth looking, reminds me of the texture of molten marshmallows.

i think i have saw the ones you mean- if its the ones i think you mean she uses soy? And i really like her jars too- i wish i kne where she got them from, can you post a link to see if we are talking about the same ones? Maybe its the soy that makes it look different? Have only ever used parrafin. :confused::grin2:

yes it was the one i was thinking of- she uses soy wax- so maybe thats why the texture looks different whipped? I wish i knew where she got her jars from especially this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20oz-Soy-wax-candle-Jammy-Dodgers-Huge_W0QQitemZ280131767353QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3089QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

they are more widemouth ones than i can find, she must have got them in the U.K. would be too heavy to ship, anyone any ideas?

I keep meaning to try soy, i will have to buy some from natasha. Why not have a try lightly whipping some soy that may work for hat you want?

When I first started out, I only made bakery candles. To get that perfect icing look, I did what was stated two posts ago. I mixed 50/50 paraffin/gel in my presto pot. I used pillar parrafin but have done it also with soft container. I loved it because it didn't have that hard crunchy look when I used straight paraffin. Dont be afraid of gel! It's actually very easy to work with. I just melted both together at the same time. Let it cool slightly to get thick. It's more translucent if you pour it hotter. It will become more white and thicker if you overpour cool. For thicker type, I just whipped it by hand or used an old beater. HTH

haven't done the frosting yet, made 4th of the 6 cupcakes. Only got the 1 silicone mould, so having to do them one at a time.

Will try the gel and paraffin mix though, did you mean put the gel in the same jug as the paraffin debbie and melt it as a double burner? thought you had to melt gel down as direct heat?

Want to find a nice way of packaging them as single cupcakes. Hoping to find some single muffin containers, those see-through plastic ones.