Perservatives in Bath Oil?

Kelly

Is this necessary? My bath oils contain various oils and Vitamin E.... is a perservative necessary? Or can I just put a shelf life on the bottle? I am planning on selling this to the public.

As long as the chances of it coming in contact with water is close to nil... shouldn't be a problem. For scrubs and all, people tend to stick their damp fingers into the jar to scoop out product, so preservative is recommended. For bath oils though, you don't do that. It's pretty hot and humid in bathrooms on the other hand, so some might still recommend it.

Thanks Jadryga... I have them in dropper bottles so the chance of water getting in there is pretty slim. They are 2 ounce bottles so they would probably get used up within their shelf life time anyway.

• 2 months later...

And along the line of shelf life.....

What would the shelf be??? Or does it depend on the oils used?? :confused:

I've just made up a recipe which includes safflower and jojoba oils, and a few essential oils, that I picked up in a book.

I made up 8 oz of it, and it is for my own use.

Any help would be appreciated!! :cool2:

It does depend on the oils used. I have a Microsoft Word document that I found somewhere online that lists carrier oils and their shelf life. I refer to that alot when trying to decide on oils to use in a recipe. This list states: Safflower - Shelf-Life: Less than 3 months; Jojoba - Simmondsia Chinesis. Shelf-Life:Indefinite

You can add .05% vitamin E oil to your carrier oils that have a shorter shelf life. It will give them a little longer life. When all else fails, you can keep it in the fridge if it is just for personal use.

I am sure others can give a better explanation than I did. :o

It does depend on the oils used. I have a Microsoft Word document that I found somewhere online that lists carrier oils and their shelf life. I refer to that alot when trying to decide on oils to use in a recipe. This list states: Safflower - Shelf-Life: Less than 3 months; Jojoba - Simmondsia Chinesis. Shelf-Life:Indefinite

You can add .05% vitamin E oil to your carrier oils that have a shorter shelf life. It will give them a little longer life. When all else fails, you can keep it in the fridge if it is just for personal use.

I am sure others can give a better explanation than I did. :o

Hey Jami, any chance you would share that list?

Thanks everyone for your responses!!! :cool2:

That is a super site!!! I had found it last night while doing a search on shelf life!

And about the Vitamin E oil... I have some Alpha vitamin E on hand. Would that work, or does it really need the Gamma Vitamin E as a preservative???

I don't trust the list on FNWL's site.

They list high-linoleic safflower oil as having a shelf life of 2 years. I don't see how that's possible unless they are sneaking some sort of antioxidant into the oil. They also give hemp seed oil a 1 year shelf life. Yeah, good luck with that.