Sunscreen, sunblock, what do you use?

Hi all! I did a quick search trying to find out what you'd add to b&b products for a sunblock but didn't really find anything so I'm begging for help! I told some of my co-workers that I was dabbling in lotions and lip balms and the first thing that they said was "Cool - will they have sunblock/sunscreen in them?" (We're very sun-conscious out here in Colorado) I internally went CRAP! because I hadn't thought about that.

I think there are different regulation involved when you say something has sunscreen in it? I mean you can't just add Titanium Dioxide to something and call it good, right??

The FDA requirements for such products are extremely strict and I sincerely doubt any of us can afford to do the clinical testing, certification, etc. to back up a sunscreen/block claim.

Sad but true.

However some vendors sell bases that apparently have been tested - if you are not averse to working with those.

Although you can't claim SPF factors and such- you can still use what ever sunblocking ingredients you would want to use. There is a supplier site i've seen that had the %'s that you would use of each. Do you think I can remember it now? Of course not! Sorry:rolleyes2 But when you find the ingredients the site should have the same info for you even if you have to ask for it. And then just get creative in your labeling. You could say something like 'Contains Titanium Dioxide, the same ingredient used in many brand name sunscreens.' This way, you are NOT making any claims and only stating a fact. But your customers or friends will know it has what they are looking for.

Thanks, ladies. That tracks with what I read while I was surfing a little more that night. That also explains why you don't find many recipes with sunscreen ingredients!

I've decided that while I may add some of those components to certain items, I will not make any claims whatsoever (and if my friends ask why I'll know what to tell them!)

I have to tell you, this is turning out to be loads of fun. I am loving making lotions and lip balms and my family is getting a kick out of being testers, too. So far no rashes, itches or mold! Yipee! :yay:

I've decided that while I may add some of those components to certain items, I will not make any claims whatsoever (and if my friends ask why I'll know what to tell them!)

wise woman! and I'm glad to hear you and yours are rash-free!