Soy & Sweating

I can't imagine why someone would tell you this ... are you sure you're not thinking about frosting? Even that statement isn't true, but I could see someone telling you that. FO will seep from a candle if the max load is exceeded -- it will look like little beads of oil on the candle & will keep seeping out after you wipe the candle clean. Are you using more than 1.5oz per lb of wax?

Susan.

I was told this from one lady who works at a supply store!! Said soy is really hard to work with and no matter what it always sweats....(oops I just noticed in my regular post it said sweet..lol).... I am starting to get into soy I have been reading a lot and looking at all the threads here. I dont know much about soy so I thought I would ask. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like that supplier is either misinformed (hope she doesn't actually sell soy wax!) or she's so into paraffin that she's not willing to give anything else a try. I know many candlemakers that work w/ paraffin, soy & palm. I applaud those people! God knows I've had enough drinks trying to tame one beast. -LOL- I love soy. I've played around w/ paraffin & think it's an easier wax to make perform the way you expect it to, but I find it SO messy to work w/ & a chore to clean up. I'm a lazy candlemaker. You will certainly tug at your hair trying to beat some of the natural qualities of soy (like frosting, wet spots, lumpy tops, battling wicks & getting a throw that makes you happy), but I think every wax has its own list of pros & cons. You'll get plenty of help here, so give it a try ... & find a new supplier to talk to!! <wink>

Susan.

No. That is not true any more than making the statement that all paraffin wax candles sweat. :rolleyes2

From an article on Syneresis in Candles from the IGI website...

Conclusions

Syneresis or bleed in candles results from a

separation of a liquid phase from the solid wax

mass. This phenomenon is of critical importance

because it can detract from a candle’s appeal

by reducing its visual appeal, handling

characteristics, and fragrance throw. The following

factors were observed and conclusions

drawn in relation to bleed:

• Using a higher melt point base wax (straight

cut paraffin wax) reduces the tendency of a

candle to bleed.

• Variation in storage and transport temperatures

may cause or aggravate candle bleed.

• Additives (microcrystalline wax, polyethylene,

petrolatum, Vybar, and EVA) can effectively

reduce candle bleed.

• Additives function differently depending on

fragrance and wax selection.

• Production conditions must be optimized

for each wax-fragrance system.

Please keep in mind that the above test was performed using paraffin wax, not soy or palm wax. That being said, I think it is reasonable to assume that there is enough similarity between paraffin and other waxes to conclude that similar processes may cause syneresis in soy and other wax candles.

The "lady who works at a supply store" should not be considered a reliable source for information.:rolleyes2

Thank you everyone and yes I did ask if she meant frost and it was sweating. I was a little leary about trying soy if this was true, but since it isnt I am HAPPY....thank you for all your information.

My newly poured soy candles have been "sweating" lately, but minimally. I only use 1 oz. fo per pound, but my shop has been VERY warm (ok, hot) the last few weeks. In my case, I'm sure it's the temperature, because it's certainly not fragrance overload and nothing else has changed except the air temperature/humidity.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my second batch of candles today and again they are sweating. The house is not that hot. Just over 70 degrees. According to the Candle & Soap Making For Dummies, It says to use a soft microcrystalline. I seached for this at BC and only came up with Petrolatum. It said it was for containers but didn't say it was to help sweating. Is this the same thing as microcrystalline?

I have only made 5 candles and am sick of the sweating already!!! If I can get this taken care of, my candles would be great!!!

Dawn

I assume we are talking about unlit candles here? If so, I haven't had to deal with sweating.

However, if I light a soy candle, there is a small amount of sweating that takes place on the top of the candle until the melt pool has grown to full size. Does that count as sweating?

Yes, I am referring to an unlit candle. I am not sure about sweating at the top of the candle so can't help ya there. Mine are sweating on the side of the jar. You can see the space between the jar and and the wax. That is what they refer to as sweating, correct?

Dawn

Yes, I am referring to an unlit candle. I am not sure about sweating at the top of the candle so can't help ya there. Mine are sweating on the side of the jar. You can see the space between the jar and and the wax. That is what they refer to as sweating, correct?

Dawn

No, that is a wet spot. And we would all like a solution to that problem. :grin2:

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on getting wet spot free candles.....now wait for the weather to change & take another look, I've found wet spots can come & go with ambient air temperature changes.....one of those soy things I think.

Sally.