Soap, Fragrance and Heat

Crystala25

How much fragrance oil do you add to your cp soap? I always add 1 oz. per lb., but my dad complains that my scents are too light (which I like, but he doesn't). Also, does the heat tend to drain some of the scent from the soap, I have mine in the garage in a cabinet and on drying racks, but the scents are a bit lighter than when I keep them inside. Is this just me or with everyone? TIA.

It all depends on the fragrance, IMO.

Both where you buy it and what the scent is. I find most of the scents I get from TSW, SC and OT I do anywhere from .7 oz per lb to 1 oz. The scents I buy from candle suppliers is usually always 1 oz per lb, but a few I can scale back to .6 per lb, like Tristate's Rain.

Some fragrances will almost disappear and then come back nice and strong after they cure. Strange, but true.

I go over 1 ounce only when I do my salt bars. The heat that the added salt generates will burn off some lower flash point oils. Next time I do a salt bar batch, I'm going to take the temp at max heating to see just how hot my log gets.

Like mentioned before, it depends on the supplier. If you get your scents from a candle supply company, they, or the manufacturer they buy from may add DPG to cut the FO, even a skin safe FO. I like buying my FO's from only soap supply companies.

Paul....;)