Bottom fill-type twist-up tubes

jaybyrd

I just got a bunch of the twist-up deodorant/lotion tubes that fill from the bottom. I'm surprised to see there's no way to seal the fill holes - the product just sits on a sort of open work base, and there are two holes on either side of the screw that you pour your lotion through, no caps or plugs. That means the finished product stays open to the air - which doesn't seem very sanitary to me: dust, lint, ants, whatever could accumulate in there. Plus if there's any chance the product might melt or sweat, it'll just leak right out.

I suppose I could add a layer of pure wax at the bottom to seal it, which would be a bit of a pain. Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad?

Cheers,

Jeri

How strange - I replied this morning, and it didn't post. Maybe I only hit "preview"...

Anyway, yes, those are the ones I meant. I've been trying to take a pic to show what I'm talking about but the details wash out too much. The little platform that rides up and down the screw is kind of a grid, rather than solid. There is a hole on each side of the twist wheel in the base, and the idea is you turn the container upside down, squirt your product through the holes, it flows through the grid to collect in the removable dome & backs up until filled.

It's a nice idea, but there's no plug for the fill holes so you never completely close the container, and what if it melts? Also, writing this I realize that if you overfill, the product can backwash into the bottom side of the container. It kind of offsets the appeal of having a rounded top - or am I overthinking?

:confused: Jeri