The Best Wax for a Newbie.

Hello everyone! I'm so excited right now, I can hardly think straight. I just decided that I'm going to start making & selling scented candles! I've always wanted to own my own business, and this is something that seems like it will be so FUN to me! So, here is my question.....

What is the Best Wax for my dollar? Parafin or Soy, or even a blend. It doesn't matter. I need a really good container wax, and a really good votive wax. I prefer something eazy that I don't have to put any aditives in. Something that has a GREAT scent throw, and can hold 6+ % FO. (My customers are going to want somethng that will scent up their whole house!)

I really appreciate your help with this. There are soooo many waxes out there to choose from, it's very confusing to me. Any help I can get will be greadly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Christina

When I first started I had went to www.peakcandle.com because their starter kits are fantastic,,My first candle was a pillar. The have 3 available, votive kit, pillar kit and a container kit and the supplies you get with them are awesome,,,thats paraffin,,now for Soy www.naturesgardencandles.com their soy kits are a good price. Anyway this is how I started and also go to the F&Q and READ READ READ,,,make sure you read everything you can,,Keep notes,,Print out info and put it in a binder to re-read and also take notes and above all do not be afraid to ask questions,,,there are alot of people here that are very creative. and they are nice folks too,,,

Welcome to your new addiction!!!!:D Peaks has great pre-blends you can use,,,

One thing,,you have to TEST your wax, wicks, jars and everything before you start selling!!! When you make your candle take notes on everything you do during the process of making the candle, this way if something goes wrong or works well you have it on notes. BUT this is something that you can NOT just jump into,,you have to make sure your products are tested and re-tested and safe for the consumer,,,if you are looking to make money right away, you need to re-think this,,However it is fun and CAN in time become a good business,,,,,,

First welcome to the board. and as for wax everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I'd recommend getting a starter kit from Peaks or some other supplier. And this is not a get rich quick thing.When I first started I thought that all you do was buy wax, FO, color,wicks etc melt and pour and waala perfect candle and boy was I in for a rude awakening. You have to read, read and do more reading, then test test and do more testing, and believe me the testing is really crutcial. This is a slow process, as each wax, container, votive, and pillar have to be tested, even each FO that you try will have to be tested. I hope this makes sense.

If I'm wrong on this someone please chime in and help out here.

Again welcome to the board.:D

I recommend getting a starter kit too, because they come with everything you need, including the melting pot. You should learn one type of candle at a time, so first decide if you want to learn votives, containers, or pillars, and then get the appropriate kit. Welcome to the board, good luck, and have fun!

Welcome to teh board :)

Starter kits are great to learn the basics.

As for what wax, read and research, then buy a slab of each that's promising to test for yourself.

Just a suggestion... read through this board, the link for newbies, tips, help sections etc. Making candles it a lot of fun, but aslo hair-pulling frustrations and a checkbook that screams eveytime you reach for it ;) It's addictive and very expensive to learn to make quality candles. And if they're not thoroughly tested, quality candles, cumstomers wont come back for more and there will be no business. And if you decide you still want to do it, read some more then ask questions of what you don't understand. Good Luck :cheesy2:

Welcome! :wave:

I agree with everyone else. Get a starter kit and experiment with different waxes. I'm not sure which is a better wax between parafin or soy (I am currently trying out IGI 4786 for containers) but I think it may come down to personal preference. Order a sampler pack from Peak's (their FO's are amazing) and try them out. I'm still in the testing stage myself so still have a lot to learn.

Your first step was the best one and that was coming here to this board where everyone is very friendly and willing to help. I've learned a lot since coming across this board. And another tip is ask questions and then more even if you think they are the dumbest or most simple questions. I can vouch for myself that I've asked more than my share of dumb ones. :laugh2:

Best of Luck! :D

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of the advice. I think I will do as you suggested & purchase a starter kit from Peeks. I'm about to go to their website now & check it out.

I have another question....lol

When testing the candles, what sort of things are you looking for? Scent Throw? Evenly melting wax? If it smokes or not? Can you give me an idea of the sort of things I should be testing for? (Is this one of those dumb questions you were refering to??) lol

Thanks Again to everyone!

Christina