wicking tealights

Guest EMercier

I don't make tealights, but want to start and I asked a question here about using the stick ums to keep them centered and that way you would not have to worry about wicking them.

hopefully one of the experts will chime in here and give us details. i have wicked before pouring and they wicks fall down. when i wick a bit after pouring that seems to work ok. i was just wondering if there was a method to wicking these better than what i have been trying......still testing these for now;)

What wicks are you using in your tealights? It sounds like you are pouring the wax too hot and the coating on the wick is melting and falling over, you say you when you "wick a bit after pouring" it works. They are so small they are cooling fast and thats why if you wick later it works. Just a guess. I'm not an expert, but I pour tealights cool - about 150F to get less shrinkage and a better top.

BTW - if you are doing TONS of these things what I would do is get the polyethelene mold from candlewic - they indentations have pins, so you wick AFTER the wax sets up. You pop the tealight out and then insert a pretabbed tealight wick and then stick it right in the tealight cup.