wholesale prices

I'm having a hard time with how much I should charge for my candles when I sell them wholesale. I need to raise my prices and haven't for some time because I was afraid to. I know that's dumb, but I thought if I raised my prices that I would lose customers. Well, it's either down to losing customers or not making much money on my candles!! I cannot continue to make them and not make very much on them. I could have a different full-time job and make more money than this!!

Would someone be willing to share what they charge wholesale for the following sizes?

10 oz. apothecary

18 oz. apothecary (or 16 oz.)

26 oz. apothecary

I would appreciate your help here -- I'm very frustrated!!

Violet, not sure where you read that but it is far from the norm.

Standard rule is that your wholesale pricing is double your cost, retail pricing is at least 3x's your cost. However, I prefer 4x's for retail, as most shop keepers will double your cost to them for their own retail. If you do your own retail as well, it's not wise to undercut your wholesale acct's by that much.

Violet, let me get this straight, if you only add 50% for retail then if you have a product that costs say, $2.00 add 50% of that, you are only selling it for $3.00??? Really? If I understand you correctly, then dang you are giving your stuff away...not even making money to cover your cost, let alone any profit. Maybe I didn't understand you correctly!

I do the same as the others here, x2 for wholesale and x3 or 4 for retail...

Sounds like people do this all different ways!!

I have been doubling my cost for wholesale and then I leave it up to the customer on what they want to charge. I've noticed that some double the wholesale cost and others add a percentage.

Another grief is charging for my labor! My candle price is high enough with just my materials, but I do add a little and call it labor.

Anyway, it's a battle to figure wholesale prices!!

Thanks everyone for their response!

I have found that usually 2x cost works good for wholesale and anywhere from 3-4x cost works for retail and 5-7x cost works for fundraisers depending on the % of sale given to groups Hope this helps

Neil

crisanne's Candles & Gifts

Hi,

Hmm... I always thought it was double the cost for retail.

I had to adjust my prices considerably to get retail shops' interest, though. So now my prices are approx. 70% higher than cost. Then I give a 40% discount for bulk wholesale orders.

I do make some money, but forget it when it comes to ebay. I don't know how anyone can make $ on there! Anyone know? LOL.

Also, I'd be interested in what everyone else charges. Anyone have websites they'd like to share?

Thanks!

:confused: