What do you all think?

prcandles

I have been playing on the soapcalc for a while now and would like some input about this for CP.

25% Coconut

15% Grapeseed

25% Lard

25% Olive oil

10% Shea

Hardness 40

Cleansing 17

Condition 55

Bubbly 17

Creamy 23

Iodine 63

INS 148

I also have some cocoa butter on hand.

Thanks for looking.

Looks good; I'd give it a whirl! Just a heads up ... since you live in hot, humid Florida, be sure your grapeseed oil's fresh and that the soap cures and is stored in a cool, dry place. GS has a bit of a short shelf life, and you want to avoid DOS, natch. Should be fine though! I personally wouldn't go much higher on the GS.

Let us know how it turns out! :)

I'm with AJ on this one; I keep my short shelf oils at 10% and never get DOS, knock wood!

e

Exactly. I seldom go above 10%. Once in a while I'll try 15% on the short-shelf life oils, but even then I feel like I'm pushing the limits, at least in the summertime. Where I live, summer is hot & humid.

If the soap is going to be used up somewhat quickly, and you don't tote it around to hot & humid outdoor farmer's markets, you can use a higher % of the shorter shelf-life oils. I, however, take mine to market. They are exposed to a bit of heat & humidity. I also need mine to have a decent shelf life. I need them to last for several months. That's just the reason I personally don't use large % of these types of oils in the summer. A lot depends on where you live and where the soaps are stored.

In the dry, cool winters, I can get away with using doggone nearly anything. :laugh2: But if I use too much of the shorter shelf-life oils in summer, I risk getting DOS. That's my experience, in a nutshell. :) hth

Actually that does help alot. I don't go to market, and I don't sell. I do have alot of little bars of soap though, so I am going to have to figure out what to do with them all. I suppose I could just stop making some until I get through these...

Yeah right.:laugh2:

Thanks again. And I am almost done with the grapeseed oil and probably won't get more. Its a fairly big bottle and I really don't see that it does alot for the soaps. Not that another oil wouldn't work as well for.

Hi

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I am new to soap making (so far two batches under my belt) but was wondering if you could list a few of the "short" shelf life oils/ingrediants

Thanks so much

Sandy~WI

I would say most oils that have an iodine level of over 100.