Shea- Unrefined vs Refined in "butter"

SoapDiva

I make a Shea & mango butter body butter and my first batches were made with refined shea.

I LOVE unrefined shea and so I naturally made my next batch of butter with the unrefined.

I love the smell, but the texture seems to be a bit different. A little more sticky than my last (refined) batch.

For those of you that make this, do your customers like the smell and the stickyness?

I'm loving it myself, but then I love the smokey smell of the unrefined.

I've used both unrefined and refined in a body butter, and my customers like the unrefined better. I do add a strong FO... so the smokey smell isn't there anymore... but they prefer the texture. I find when I use refined shea, it gets grainy. The best unrefined shea I have used so far is from The Scent Works... a beautiful golden color, real soft, mushy texture... It was a breeze to whip up. No melting... just dump in the bowl... and WHIP. And no grainy texture AT ALL with this shea. Awesome.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

I cannot stand the smell of unrefined shea. No amount of fragrance can mask it. I can smell it in CP soap, butters or scrubs. I know the refining does remove some of the properties, but unrefined shea literally gags me. Some people love it. Avon and The Body Shop both market a successful African Shea line. So there is a market for this type of consumer.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

I cannot stand the smell of unrefined shea. No amount of fragrance can mask it. I can smell it in CP soap, butters or scrubs. I know the refining does remove some of the properties, but unrefined shea literally gags me. Some people love it. Avon and The Body Shop both market a successful African Shea line. So there is a market for this type of consumer.

I bet if I'd send you my Whipped Shea Soufflee... you wouldn't know the difference...:wink2:

I have only ONE oil that completely covers the smokey smell. So, I only do it in this scent.