Need your opinion on beeswax/soy blend

I have used beeswax/soy blend several times, and I do like the steady flame it gives, and am happy with the throw and smooth tops too. I do have a question though for those of your that use beeswax as an additive on a regular basis. Do you think that beeswax helps overcome the inconsistencies with soy wax?

I am really, really tired of the differences from batch of the GF soys, and am trying to make up my poor, tired mind as to what to do. I don't want to use paraffin, and would like to use beeswax all the time (not just to play) if that would overcome the problems with different batches of the soy.

I hope the rambling above makes some sense. Any help or input really would be appreciated.

Sandi

IMHO no one would really be able to answer your question honestly because they may or may not have the same batch of wax you do, or use beeswax at the same percentage, in the same type of jars, wicks, etc. Unfortunately the soy crop itself from season to season may change, or any other factor could cause the change from batch to batch. It's actually the same with paraffin at times also.

Thank you for answering Chris. I was speaking in generalities about the soy wax. I understand all you said because I have been wrestling soy for about 8 years now, and for the most part I usually win.:grin2:

I probably didn't state my question correctly. I was just wondering if anybody used beeswax to help offset any differences in batches of soy.

The question still doesn't sound right. Let me try again.:confused: No matter if you use GB 415, 435 or 402 would beeswax help with the small variances in the different batches or is it basically just for smoother tops and frosting issues?

Again thanks for answering me Chris.

Sandi

We don''t use the same wax, so I can't comment much. I don't think beeswax will make up for badly manufactured wax... might help or just be a waste of perfectly good beeswax. We use NatureWax C-3 and have not had the consistancy issues that others have reported with other brands... Now that I said that, I will probably get a bad batch the next time I order!;)

Stella I sure hope you never get a bad batch, because those batches (at times) have me want to give up candlemaking. I may have to try C3 if I can find it close to me somewhere.

Thanks for the input.

Sandi

I gotcha now (maybe) LOL!!! Sure, if you are having good luck with adding the beeswax, it should continue to work, but you may have to play with the amount you add from batch to batch. That to me though is an awful lot of work and testing every time you get a new batch of soy. Checking out some other soy waxes may be in your future if the inconsistancy of this one is causing you that much grief. That is one of the main reasons I quit using straight soy and now mix it with paraffin for my own great blend!!

Again, thanks Chris. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and go to a blend like you did. I have tried them in the past, but for various reasons I always went back to soy. I'm just getting old and cranky, and I'm sick of the soy variances. I want some consistency dang it!

Sandi

Sep, Before you take what I say to heart, be aware that I am just starting out. But I use a 60/40 mix of NG Soy and NG Joy. I recently experimented with pouring just Soy and found the top was lumpy compared to the nice smooth tops of the blend. I have not burned them for a comparison yet (just poured yesterday) but the burn on the blend is good so far.

You can only get Joy at NG and it comes in slabs that reminds me of Crisco, only a little harder. It is suppose to be mainly Soy with additives. I am also going to try experimenting with different ratios, like 70/30 and 80/20. The 60/40 does give me a nice creamy looking candle.

Still have the air pocket issues, around the wicks which I have come up with an idea to minimize but can't say anything about it yet until something I ordered comes so I can try it. If my idea works, I'll be sure to post it.

Sounds interesting, and I used to love to just play around with different waxes and blends. But somewhere along the way this little hobby decided to develope a life of its' own and I stuck with the GB soys for all the ones I sell.

Sink holes in the ones that developed them (when I was playing) used to drive me nuts, but now that wouldn't bother me as much anymore if I got a consistent burn.

Please do keep us posted on how your testing goes. I think I have some of the original Joy wax around here somewhere, but it has changed since I got this so I don't know if it would work like yours would. I kind of doubt it.

Sandi