Wick type for Gel Candle ?!

DhimitC

I've read that a ZINC CORE WICK is the way to go for GEL CANDLES ?!

Can I use a 'PRIMED' WICK for GEL CANDLES ?

Can experienced GEL CANDLE makers please advise on the best wick type to use for GEL CANDLES WITHOUT losing it's extended burning advantage !!

I believe GEL WAX burns upto 5 times longer than Parrafin Wax candles.

Dhimit

Zinc is not required it just works best. For my small candles votive size and smaller I use HTP wicks. What you want it a fairly stiff wick some thing that is not easily bent when the candle is burning. For the larger you want at least a cored wick either paper or cotton cored.

The use of zinc core was never about burn time it was about stiffness of the wick. Gel is a funny animal unlike paraffin the wick can float off center when burning. If a paraffin candle is burning you get this melt pool but anything below the melt pool is pretty solid so the wick that is in the unmelted wax stays in place. Now gel when you burn it several inches if not the whole candle softens up so your whole wick can slide to one side or another. That is why you want a rigid wick in the smaller candle it not as important but in taller one it becomes very important.

Now as far as gel burning 5 times longer that is not really the case it might have been at one time but with the new blends of paraffin on the market that burn time between the two is a whole lot shorter.

Thanks Guys for the info.

Considering that i'm based in Kenya & that there are NO candles suppliers around - can you recommend the best alternative wick that i can use ?

What do you mean HTP wick ?

Dhim as in DIMWIT ??!!:laugh2: