Palm and soy blend

Does anyone know the what the addition of soy (20% ish) would have on adding it to palm for containers? I realize I need to test it myself, but I'm just wondering if you think I would need to wick up or down because of it?

I have just started testing the frosted palm and I used the recommended wicks (CSN 14's), but I'm not getting a good, clean burn really. Almost, but not quite. I thought of adding a little soy to it to soften it up. When hard, the wax seems like it could easily slide right out of my straight sided jars (and be a pillar, lol). Do you think the little bit of soy would soften it up a bit and then it would adhere to the jar better?

Anyone know? Thanks!!:yay:

I experimented by the GlassGlow and added 30% soy to it and it did soften it up a bit and I still got the cystal look but when I tried to burn it with CSN 14 it started to drown out and I have not tried any other wicks with it after that. :tiptoe: HTH

Does anyone know the what the addition of soy (20% ish) would have on adding it to palm for containers? I realize I need to test it myself, but I'm just wondering if you think I would need to wick up or down because of it?

I have just started testing the frosted palm and I used the recommended wicks (CSN 14's), but I'm not getting a good, clean burn really. Almost, but not quite. I thought of adding a little soy to it to soften it up. When hard, the wax seems like it could easily slide right out of my straight sided jars (and be a pillar, lol). Do you think the little bit of soy would soften it up a bit and then it would adhere to the jar better?

Anyone know? Thanks!!:yay:

I experimented with this with the Candlewic Container Palm and found I could go up to about 7.5% Soy without losing crystalization. I also got really inconsistent results though, cause I was using a melting pot. Might be a heck of a lot better now that I'm using a Presto. But another problem I had was leaking of the soy out of the Palm, just like as if you put too much FO in. I have yet to experiment with Glass Glow, but am anxious to do so when they get it back in stock. For the very reasons you discuss above (hang up and lack of glass adhesion in a straight sided glass). If you get to testing this before I do, I would LOVE to know your results.

Thank you both! I know it's going to sound crazy, but I don't color my candles so I'm not concerned about the crystalization. I really just don't like straight soy since I think it has a funny smell. I like the truer, cleaner smell the palm gives off.

I just made one up using CS frosted palm and 20% EZSoy, 1 oz cranberry marmalade (CS), 16 oz container, uncolored, with a CSN 14. We'll see how it burns...tomorrow. I'm going to have a hard time waiting on this one, lol.

I'll post back and let you know how it's working.:grin2:

I really just don't like straight soy since I think it has a funny smell. I like the truer, cleaner smell the palm gives off.

Glad I am not the only one! Soy smells ...creamy or something... Palm doesn't really have any odor to speak of.

I blend soy & palm a lot, but I don't use the Candlescience wax ('cause all of y'all bought it before I got any :cry2:;))- a little will hardly matter with the crystals, but will soften the wax slightly. I don't recall pouring any into containers, though, so I can't say if it would reduce the shrinkage enough ...

Don't be afraid to just try stuff - it won't blow up and you may discover your own personal method!:yay: Let us know how it works out for ya. :)

Ok, well so far so good. It definitely makes the adhesion to the glass much better. Now my candle is actually "stuck" to the glass and there seems to be no way it's going to slide out now. The cold throw is still amazing (no funny scent of soy:rolleyes2 ) but there is a noticeable change in the crystalization effect. I am using the frosted palm though, which tends to have less crystalization than the rest of them I've heard. It doesn't matter to me, since I'm not coloring them.

I will burn it in the morning, to give it a little more time to cool/harden. So, we'll see how it turns out.

I was one of the lucky ones to get a bag of the Glass Glow. Starting at 10% soy to 90% palm and there is no difference in the crystal effect in the Glass Glow or in the Frost container wax.

Also pouring the same oil in straight CB-135 to compare the aroma throw.

Absolutely LOVE the idea of no frosting with the Palm !

Well, I did my first test burn. The hot throw is great! Which I was worried about with the palm. I burned for about 3 1/2 hours, and did not get a full melt pool. It did the typical tunneling, with the "crust" left and I hoping that when I burn it a few more times it will catch up. I actually used a CSN 16 (not a CSN 14 like I posted before), and I hope it will do better than the 14. I think the scent throw will be even better when I get a full melt pool. I may have to try and double wick my next tester,just to see what happens.

Hey Becky - looks like we are duplicating testing. I'm a little more cautious and just used 10% soy (CB-135) to the Frost container palm.

I have three questions. 1) What size containers are you using? 2) What type soy are you mixing this palm with? and 3) Are you letting them "cure" any longer than overnight or 24 hrs?

Will post my results after my test burn this afternoon.

Hi Judy~

1) What size containers are you using? I'm am starting out using the 18 oz Madison Jar (but I don't fill it to the top, I only use 16oz...easier to measure fo, lol)

2) What type soy are you mixing this palm with? I'm mixing the frosted palm with EZSoy, from Bittercreek.

and 3) Are you letting them "cure" any longer than overnight or 24 hrs? No, so far I just have let them cure overnight. With that much soy though, it couldn't hurt if I let them cure longer. I am using fo's that have an excellent soy rating, and are strong throwers and so far they have been true to that rating. I just made a wildberry mousse today and will burn it in the morning. This one I double wicked, just to see if I like that result better.

HTH:grin2:

Guess a little reciprocal info is due to you! :highfive:

I'm using a 6 oz hex with CSN-12. Getting a little hang up in the "corners". Called them since there are 7 9 11 12 14 & 16's available to see if a 13 is coming. But it's not in the forseeable future. It seems the 20% soy is working well for you so I may bump up on the soy and keep the same wick. It's worth a try anyway...if it doesn't work I'll just go to the 14's.

Another thing I noticed. At 10% soy the frost pattern seemed a little more noticeable...but then again these eyes could be playing tricks.

I've just finished the KY Strawberry Rhubarb in CB-135, Frost Palm & the 10% mix. They all threw a relatively light pleasant aroma with the 135 being the strongest??? Since the aromas that worked in palm (listed on a fragrance forum thread) seemed to be fruit-based I thought it would be a good one to start with. I really, really would love to see a "Sticky" for what works in Palm. Seems the only ones getting the benefit of all my testing are my suppliers :laugh2:! OOPS!!! Didn't realize how much I've rambled. Keep us posted, please!

• 4 years later...

I am using the golenfoods 464 soy wax, I was prev. using a paraffin container blend which had awsome CT and HT but wanted to switch to something more natural. anyways, I find the soy even with 2X as much FO than the paraffin still didnt smell as good (actually wasn't even close) so I experimented with a soy palm mix, first try was 75% soy, 20% palm and 5% 76 cocnut oil (to keep it smooth) the throw was much better but the candle was softer and burned faster the wanted. Went to 60% soy 40% palm candle a little too hard, coming from the sides of the jar but had excellent CT & HT burning with 2 wicks. next in trying 70% / 30% and I think it will work well.

Glad I am not the only one! Soy smells ...creamy or something... Palm doesn't really have any odor to speak of.

I blend soy & palm a lot, but I don't use the Candlescience wax ('cause all of y'all bought it before I got any :cry2:;))- a little will hardly matter with the crystals, but will soften the wax slightly. I don't recall pouring any into containers, though, so I can't say if it would reduce the shrinkage enough ...

Don't be afraid to just try stuff - it won't blow up and you may discover your own personal method!:yay: Let us know how it works out for ya. :)

Soy always makes my fibromyalgia flare up and paraffin makes my chest hurt. Although I make soy candles to sell, I make palm ones for myself :)

If you come across a good soy/plam mix let us know. Good luck.

Two thanks to you Miss Stella! 1st-Start a new thread after I've researched & still need answers. Didn't even think about it, I'm guilty but I learn fast. Two- No more wet spots! Washed with ammonia & most are gone.

This is yet another "Zombie thread" - from 2007! Agape, if you want to reopen this discussion, please start a new thread.