Are candles profitable?

I was wondering, is there really a market out there for candles? :undecided I LOVE to make candles but before I make any major decisions, I would like to know if any of you have luck selling them and if so, where? I was also wondering about the future of candles? Are they here to stay, or just a fad? Any input?

Thanks!:smiley2:

I was wondering, is there really a market out there for candles? :undecided I LOVE to make candles but before I make any major decisions, I would like to know if any of you have luck selling them and if so, where? I was also wondering about the future of candles? Are they here to stay, or just a fad? Any input?

Thanks!:smiley2:

Profit = yes...but not overnight and I can't speak for anyone else but I have spent thousands - I mean thousands in testing this testing that and it not working, blah blah blah - thank goodness for receipts and the tax man.

Future = do research on candles to see how long they have been around....not a fad.

Yes, there is a market for candles and I do believe they are here to stay as long as those paraffin bashers keep quiet.

It's a money pit to make your own.

I wouldn't worry about paraffin bashers, most rely on half truths and the ignorance of the common consumer to sell their products. All you can do is just provide your customers the whole truth and let them decide for themselves. I'll stop with that..don't want to make this a soy v.s paraffin thread.

To answer your question, it can be, but like others have said, it takes lots of time, money, and being in the right location can really help also.

I wouldn't worry about paraffin bashers, most rely on half truths and the ignorance of the common consumer to sell their products.
Well that was why I asked. Because even if they are believed, wouldn't people just switch to non-paraffin candles? They'd still be buying candles, so candles would still be here to stay (at least the non-paraffin ones, which are still candles).

I don't see the candle market going away any time soon. Sure, it's not an easy niche to work, since there are so many fragrance options - glade plug ins, big time candle co, cheap imports, other home fragrance options....

You have to find the angle that works in your area. Maybe it's home design - art work as a focus instead of home fragrance. Or you go really high end - see the pictures of aWickedScent's store in San Francisco. Or push the local angle and help the schools and libraries with fund raisers.

Find your niche - find your reason for your product.

Candles CAN be profitable. You have to find your niche. Making the same kind of candles as everyone else does not fly very far; you are going head-to-head with them. You wind up cutting each other's throats. You need lots and lots of new and repeat customers to make a go of it. It involves a lot of work and lots of time and money spent. THE BUSINESS END OF THE CRAFT IS NEVER WHAT PEOPLE THINK IT IS OR SHOULD BE.

Well that was why I asked. Because even if they are believed, wouldn't people just switch to non-paraffin candles? They'd still be buying candles, so candles would still be here to stay (at least the non-paraffin ones, which are still candles).

Went way over your head didn't it, LOL