My soap..riced, seized, I don't know?

Crystala25

I was soaping a new bamboo fo and when I added the fo it started turning into a rice type substance, so I stuck in the stick blender for not even a second to try and get rid of the rice texture and boom chunky monkey pudding. It is a gorgeous greyish color, smells so good, but it thickend so fast that I don't know what happened. I still put it in the mold, but will it be okay or what happened, I haven't had this experience before so I'm not sure what to call it. Any ideas?Thanks, Crystal

It sound like it was the fragrance that riced and seized on you. Some fragrances will not react well to CP. To avoid this in the future, you can choose to HP this scent. You can also help to sometimes avoid ricing and seizing by soaping at room temperature and using the stick blender as little as possible if at all and hand stirring.

When this happens, you just need to do exactly what you did. Only when you are able to unmold will you be able to see if you got all the lye incorporated and if the soap turned out. If it doesn't turn out, you can always rebatch.

I checked the Scent Review Board and no reviews of it were posted (that's the FIRST place I always look!). So no info there for ya, but perhaps you could post YOUR experience for others...

ETA: just read the description and it sounds FABULOUS. wish it had worked better. florals are notorious for causing difficulty with ricing and seizing.

I know when that happens to me, I tend to get big holes in the soap from not mashing it down enough and get stuck with rebatching. As an alternative, you can switch over to HP next time. It will loosen up after the seize and continue through the normal HP stages.

e

My 2cents. :wink2:

Soap at room temp. Take no liquid discount. Add the FO and any coloring to the batch BEFORE you add the lye solution. Hand stir only and pour as quickly as possible.

What you may be able to do with this batch, is if it doesn't turn out the way you want it and you don't want to rebatch it, shred it and add it to a plain batch. You can always use a complimenting FO but less of it in the main portion.

I just unmolded the soap and included pictures of what it looks like now. It's not grey anymore, its a pretty color and I am now in love with this smell, but its got some spots throughout. I have a question though, what exactly are the spots caused from, I mean I know some fragrances do this to soap, but is it not safe or usuable after? because I want to keep some of these for me.

post-4834-139458428565_thumb.jpg

post-4834-139458428568_thumb.jpg

If you used palm oil in your recipe, it could be that. Palm oil is notorious for this and won't hurt the soap - just the way it looks. Also, check for zap too to make sure you got all the lye incorporated (if you didn't do that already).

BTW your soap looks pretty good;) .