Using shells in gel

TheWickChick

I tried my first seascape and it turned out cloudy - well first when I put in the gel it sizzled and made a million bubbles, then it turned cloudy. I washed the shells very well, even soaking them in water, and then soaked them in mineral oil overnight and still this happened. Am I missing a step?

Sizzled? Do you mean a bunch of bubbles came up out of it? I'm picturing sizzling like..meat sizzling! haha

What I do is, set up my scene (sand, seashells..etc) and then pour a thin layer of gel on top of that. Then I let it set up a lil bit, and then pour the rest of my candle. Keeps the bubbles at bay that way. Also, I pour a lil hotter or cooler depending on how many bubbles I want for that particular candle.

I do know other people that dip their seashells or embeds in gel wax first, then pour.

You need to check your thermometer it sound like your got your gel way to hot and gel will cloud up in high temps. I have had similar happen but only when I had the gel to hot. At 180 gel is not hot enough to cause what you are describing.

I'm not sure what type of shells you used, or if you collected them yourself, but 8 years ago I had the same thing happen when I used the coiled up(does that make sense?) shells. It appears there were dead critters within the shells that when the gel hit them, it sizzled. And the gel wasn't overheated, just didn't like dead bodies!:shocked2:

Neither did I!!! Someone had collected these for me in Mexico. I washed them thoroughly, followed all the steps. But they were so far in you couldn't see them or easily remove them. After they fried and sizzled, parts came out of the shells, so I knew they were there. For those types of shells, I now buy sanitized(and yes, you can buy sanitized shells).

Since this event, I've tested lots of things and have come to the conclusion that anything organic is best stayed away from, or doubled glassed, pouring at the lowest possible melting point.

But gel can sizzle, for dead critters, a drop of sap on a pinecone, even real peppermints with a high sugar content. :wink2: