Cracked soap

I made a batch of my Sonflower Springs soap yesterday as well as a batch of castille type (which turned out fine). I put the Sonflower Springs down in our basement bedroom where it stays quite cool, so I am almost positive it didn't overheat. It is still quite soft, so I can't even unmold it yet.

Can I put it in the oven for a bit to see if it will help? If it doesn't zap when I cut and cure, I will sell it at a discount because of the cracks. I need to get the lye out from the co-op to make sure it isn't my lye that is causing problems (I think it is the Rooto brand and I have had a few problems this winter with soaps not turning out right).

I would really like to save this soap if possible! I did use some sodium lactate, but it hasn't seem to make much difference in my last few batches.

TIA,

Steph

While this doesn't help with your current batch, I can say that I can't figure out the cracked tops either. I poured a batch of Vanilla two weeks ago. I have a mold that's divided into 4 logs, and I poured the Vanilla in two of them. One cracked, the other didn't. If it had been the inside loaf that had cracked, I would have passed it off as a heat issue, but it was the outside loaf, which would have been the coolest log (most air circulation).

I don't have it happen often, but I don't mark my bars down when it happens. I've found that most people, except the creators, don't mind these small imperfections. Obviously it's your call, but I don't think there's any need to mark them down. I've always thought of it as adding a little character!!!

Well, I might end up rebatching it because it still isn't hard, after 2 days. I think it is my lye and I will try the stuff from the co-op the next time. I can't even cut it without it crumbling apart.

Steph

se that to me either means it was the FO or you didnt bring it to full trace and it separated.

I had two batches do that to me one time. One i didnt bring it to a thick enough trace casue i was trying to get crazy with the swirl. and the other was because i used a weird FO. Both crumbled real bad.