web hosting - so let me get this straight...

bwc

If I go with Vodahost which is "all inclusive" and "no hidden fees", do I also have to purchase a separate e-commerce suite such as OsCommerce, or does Vodahost include a free e-commerce cart?

Also, what about tax setup? Does Vodahost have tax tables for the entire US, or do you have to add those manually? I was checking out the hostmonster web hosting site, and from what I understood, you have to put in the tax percentage yourself. How the heck would I know what the tax is in whatevercounty, NY? There is also an option for the customer to put in their local county tax. Our local city/county charges less than our state does, but I don't know the percentage off the top of my head. I'd quit buying at that point if I had to fill in my own tax percentage.

bwc, I received an email today from VodaHost. BlueVoda (one of their website builders) released a new version today, some improvements are:

BlueVoda 9.1 is loaded with cool new features like the below...

1) An online Guest Book

2) Lightbox image Displays - (very cool)

3) Built in Logo Maker

4) PayPal Shopping Cart Builder

5) Text Menu HyperlinksAs far as sales tax, I had to enter the codes manually.

HTH

You only need to collect tax on orders that are being shipped to the state you are doing business in...if you live in CA and the order is being shipped to an address in CA then you charge tax. If it's going to NY there is no tax.

OsCommerce is free first of all. I use it on my site and I love it. I do everything myself through it, and actually just decided to do a redirect to the shopping area. You'd use that with something like BlueVoda though, or just use it standalone and Voda hosts. They also have SoHo which is drag and drop site and cart all in one.

As for taxes, you live in Colorado, your taxes will only be on people who live or ship to Colorado. Anyone else outside of the state doesn't pay tax.

2.9% is the state sales tax for Colorado, then you need to add in for people living within your city limits, and your county taxes, if they live in the SAME county/city as you.

Example: If you lived in Colorado Springs, you'd need to add the following sets as 'tax zones'.

Colorado state: 2.9%

El Paso county:1%

Transportation tax for El Paso county residents: 1%

Colorado Springs city: 2.5%

Making a total of 7.4% and you'd just set up the 'zones' in your cart.

So shipping from the Springs to the Springs - 7.4%

Shipping from Springs outside of Springs but in county would be 4.9%

Shipping from Springs to other parts of state - 2.9%

Shipping out of state - 0%

In my cart it calculates the tax based on first zip codes, then state entered. So if I were to put in 80901, it would automatically charge the 7.4, but if I used the Academy's zip 80840, since it's not city limits, it would be 4.9%.

ETA: In my example, those are the actual tax numbers.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing but HTH!

You only need to collect tax on orders that are being shipped to the state you are doing business in...if you live in CA and the order is being shipped to an address in CA then you charge tax. If it's going to NY there is no tax.

I'm sorry ah-soy, another brain fart. Of course you are correct!

Thanks,

Donna:)

OsCommerce is free first of all. I use it on my site and I love it. I do everything myself through it, and actually just decided to do a redirect to the shopping area. You'd use that with something like BlueVoda though, or just use it standalone and Voda hosts. They also have SoHo which is drag and drop site and cart all in one.

As for taxes, you live in Colorado, your taxes will only be on people who live or ship to Colorado. Anyone else outside of the state doesn't pay tax.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing but HTH!

Oh my, I had one of those brain farts and was getting confuzzled about taxes everywhere in the US! Thanks for straightening that out!

Nice to know OsCommerce is free.

Thanks!

Donna

Hello,

I am still new here, so forgive me for jumping in, but would anyone have a page done with Vodahost SoHo I could look at?? I have a website, but its not the best in the world, and am looking at other options.. Thank you for letting me butt in..

I started with it, but I wanted more freedom. :)

SoHo is absolutely great for those with little to no site building knowledge, it blocks it and automatically spaces everything for you. Once I got it all done though, I realized I wanted some very detailed html customizing that cannot be done in SoHo.

My site is now done entirely by OsCommerce, with no other builders.

Definately check out Bluehost, Monsterhost & IX Webhosting. You will normally see them in the top 5. These 3 offer Oscommerce and other shopping carts. They offer Demos also. Love your website MissMary. :) If you want an approach other than Oscommerce check out Volusion. They do it all too but different shop cart. Still trying to decide which way I'm going to go.

A-ha. Good to know about Oscommerce. After eyes buggin out last night at almost midnight the Website is an animal in itself so shifting my focus back to making one candle the burns right!:shocked2: But I have to thank all of you for bringing the knowledge to me about this to sit down and do the research. Atleast now when it comes that time, which is hopefully soon, I will have somewhat of a direction and laid the groundwork.